C4 Forums | Control4

Make Switched Fans Look Like Fans

Joshua Pressnell

I have several fans that are too high to pull the chains for easily, so I got fan speed controllers for them.  These show up nicely in the UI as fans, and I can see the discrete levels.  There are also several fans that I'm fine just having be on switches.  But these show up looking like lights, because there's no way that I can see to bind a switch to the fan proxy.  Is there any driver out there that basically makes a regular switch look like a fan?

I wish! A long requested feature. Panelized lighting actually allows you to tie relays to the connections (ie use a fan driver and just tie it in) but no such option on the 'normal' lighting.That said, it's not that hard to make this work.

You hide the light in it's default room or move it to a hidden room, and add a generic fan relay. Tie it to an empty controller relay for tracking.

From there, just program the basic lines that would mimic the settings.

When Fan turns off, turn light on...I think you get the idea, do it both ways.

Yeah... I had kind of started to work out that kind of approach.  I was just hoping there was something similar.... like maybe someone had been able to modify the control4 drivers for the fan speed controller to connect to a switch instead.  You'd have thought that C4 would have figured out people want this by now.  It can't be TOO hard to make it an option.  :/

Ok... new problem.  I got the fan links setup, but the generic fan gets put into the "Comfort" section and not in the "Lighting" section, while the Fan Speed Controller *looks* like a fan, but goes into the "Lighting" section, so now my fans aren't in the same place in the navigators.

Is there any way to get the generic relay fan to show up in the Lighting section, or to get the Fan Speed Controller to move into the Comfort section?

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

Another 'I wish' - never quite understood why the fan speed isn't under comfort.

there was a post on the dealer forum a few months ago that explained why....not that it was a good reason, but it explained it

Archived