C4 Forums | Control4

MP4's - How to play on Control 4?

I am a new client of Control4 and we were originally promised the ability to play all music in itunes on our system, only to find out later that Control 4 does not support MP4.

Given the prevelance of itunes I cannot fathom that I am the first, or will be the last customer to have this problem.

I know from initial research that I will have to convert all MP4 files to MP3's and then import them to Composer.

Can anyone recommend....

a) Conversion software that allows for batch conversions and retains album, artist, track info as well as album cover artwork

B) A workaround for converting MP4's within itunes for protected music (the last post with this topic is a bit old) that does not require manual conversion via 3rd party software.

All I can play on Control 4 is music that I had on cd's 10 years ago. I'm sure you can imagine my pain.

Please help.

Regards,

SRichards

I'm not necessarily answering your questions, but some other options to consider....

You could get a Sonance iPort doc and just place an iPod in that to source your entire music collections (MP3's and MP4's). The doc can be in-wall or in your equipment rack. There are some disadvantages here (no cover art) but the simplicity is nice. You also never have to worry about updating your C4 library or playlists since I would assume you keep your iPod synched and up to date.

The other option would be to get an Apple TV and keep your collection there. This would also be nice, but the disadvantage would be that you'd need a TV to see the music selection. With video distribution, you could see the AppleTV from any TV in your house - just not from a mini touch screen or remote alone.....

Neither of the above are perfect, but to me they're easier than always having to convert files and/or trying to keep playlists up to date via C4's media library.

When Itunes switched to MP4, we downloaded a bunch of mp4 songs before realizing it would not work with C4.

Since then, we have been using Amazon. They offer mp3 songs at .89

I used Protected Music Convertor to convert the files from Mp4 to Mp3. When converting songs I suggest shutting down all other programs. Only convert a small batch at a time, otherwise the songs may skip. Also once you convert the songs put the Mp3 files in the Mp4 folder and move the Mp4 files to a backup location. If you leave both songs in the music folder, itunes will copy both to your ipod, creating duplicates.

http://www.wma-mp3.com/protected-music-converter.html

I don't use iTunes for a variety of reasons, but the poor compatibility is high on the list. Back when they were the only legal option, though, I did buy some music from them, which I promptly burned to CD and converted back to MP3. Today, as cited above, there are both other legal options for purchase and a number of ways to directly convert to MP3. Any of those will give you the most seamless integration with C4.

The problem is with DRM regarding protected aac files, which to my knowledge is not supported by anyone other than apple...So it's not really C4's fault.

This is why I tell them to use Tunebite. It plays the protected files and copies them to be unprotected (stick your format here) files, it also maintains your protected files.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just a warning re: Protected Music Convertor. Today I decided to upgrade from the trial to the full version, and paid my $19.95 with my Debit Card. I then received a mail from "Plimus", apparently an e-commerce middleman, telling me my order was "Pending Plimus review". Three hours later, it was still pending, and I called my bank. They told me the debit was still "pending" and that no extra unauthorised payments had been requested YET - but they advised caution. I therefore did some Googling of Plimus and found that they were based in the Ukraine, and that various scams had involved them. At this point I cancelled my debit card and told the support people at Litex (the authors of Protected Music Convertor) that I was also cancelling the order with them.

Litex, and for all I know Plimus, may be bona-fide companies. But since DRM-busting software is already skirting the boundaries of legality, it may be prudent to steer clear.

I am a new client of Control4 and we were originally promised the ability to play all music in itunes on our system, only to find out later that Control 4 does not support MP4.

Given the prevelance of itunes I cannot fathom that I am the first, or will be the last customer to have this problem.

I know from initial research that I will have to convert all MP4 files to MP3's and then import them to Composer.

Can anyone recommend....

a) Conversion software that allows for batch conversions and retains album, artist, track info as well as album cover artwork

B) A workaround for converting MP4's within itunes for protected music (the last post with this topic is a bit old) that does not require manual conversion via 3rd party software.

All I can play on Control 4 is music that I had on cd's 10 years ago. I'm sure you can imagine my pain.

Please help.

Regards,

SRichards

iTunes downloaded audio video files have DRM protection which prevent users from converting it to other formats.

So, you will need a professional DRM converter to convert the DRM itunes files.

Free download this converter, drag and drop the protected files to it, it supports bath conversion

http://www.wmatomp3-converter.com/digital-media-converter-pro.html

It can convert the DRM protected music & video to any other formats and extract audios from DRM video (wmv, m4v, asf, etc):)

Umm...

FYI - two FEDERAL US laws are being broken here.

1) It is illegal to break DRM of any type

2) It is illegal to instruct a person how to break DRM of any type

That being said - I would suggest deleting your posts and watch what you do.

and THAT being said... I hate the law and wished someone with LOTS of $$$ would fight it in court and get it removed from the books.

Hi - Simon from Plimus here. You are correct to say that Plimus is a third party ecommerce provider who Litex use to process their transactions.

However, we are not based in the Ukraine (we're in the US, though we do have a team in Ukraine, as well as other folks in Israel), and are very much a legitimate business. Part of fulfilling that role is ensuring we only complete transactions we're 100% sure are authentic. Unfortunately it sounds like your order got flagged as having some attributes that required further verification, but you canceled before we could contact you and get you squared away. For future reference, please note that you can actually go straight to plimus.com and request a refund, rather than calling the credit card company and canceling the charge - this actually results in a cleaner process for all concerned, and is definitely very much appreciated by everyone in the chain - from the credit card all the way to the vendor.

Thanks

Simon

Archived