C4 Forums | Control4

Dish DVRs/Centralized Video

CFUG

I've looked into this about three times now in the past three years and still don't have an answer from Dish.  Which/how many DVRs are you to order if the expectation is three simultaneous viewers all on different channels/recorded programs?

All Dish asks is how many TVs you have.  This means nothing in a distributed-video situation.  I fail to see the necessity for a 16tuner DVR if only one party can access the box at one time. Now, if tuners were assignable to discrete ports on the box then that would be different.

I need three DVRs but Dish tells me to pack it.  Can a joey act as a discrete tuner and connect to the Hopper3's recordings?  If yes, would I then ask for a 3 and two joeys??

I am not aware of the simultaneous outputs of the new hopper.

However I have had the hopper 1 and 2. They both are three tuners. up to 3 clients can access video at one time. However if 3 live tuners are in uses they will have to share. All boxes can watch separate records at all times..

IF you only need 3 feeds you should just be fine with the hopper and two joeys. You may be able to get a super joey that has a tuner as well.

Do not worry about the dish employees if the box doesnt hook up to the tv they will be lost no matter what.

1 hour ago, CFUG said:

I've looked into this about three times now in the past three years and still don't have an answer from Dish.  Which/how many DVRs are you to order if the expectation is three simultaneous viewers all on different channels/recorded programs?

All Dish asks is how many TVs you have.  This means nothing in a distributed-video situation.  I fail to see the necessity for a 16tuner DVR if only one party can access the box at one time. Now, if tuners were assignable to discrete ports on the box then that would be different.

I need three DVRs but Dish tells me to pack it.  Can a joey act as a discrete tuner and connect to the Hopper3's recordings?  If yes, would I then ask for a 3 and two joeys??

I'm a little confused on your question but I'll try to answer. The Hopper 3 has 16 tuners which means 16 recordings/live viewing sessions can be happening at the same time (picture in picture would use 2 tuners for example). The Joeys have access to any of the available tuners on the Hopper. The joeys also have access to any of the recordings on the hopper.

Back with the Hopper 1 and 2 you only had like 3 tuners and you would run into conflicts if you were recording a couple of shows and a couple of Joeys were trying to use a tuner. You would either have to share a tuner with a joey or view what was being recorded. The 16 tuner hopper 3 fixes these problems. With the Hopper 3 you can also specify that 1, 2 or all the joeys have a dedicated tuner available so that even if you were recording a bunch of shows on the hopper it would leave a tuner available in case the joeys needed one.

Hope this helps.

Let us go back to a rack situation where the DVRs feed into a video switch.  Any DVR box will have just one video/audio output, right?  Although the switch can output the same video source to multiple rooms, the source will display the same thing.  This is why folks have multiple DVRs sitting in the rack.  I have three, a neighbor of mine has four.

I'm understanding that a Hopper acts as the primary tuner(s) and DVR.  The Joey will then hit-up the Hopper for a tuner or a recording.  That makes two sources in the rack, right???  Two sources that can act totally independent, right?

Matt Lowe, I understand you.  And, since Dish might be stingy with dispatching more than one Hopper3 to my job, I guess I'm forced to do regular Joeys.  Have you heard otherwise?  I would go on the Dish forums but they don't understand Control4 or centralized installs worth a damn.

1 hour ago, CFUG said:

Let us go back to a rack situation where the DVRs feed into a video switch.  Any DVR box will have just one video/audio output, right?  Although the switch can output the same video source to multiple rooms, the source will display the same thing.  This is why folks have multiple DVRs sitting in the rack.  I have three, a neighbor of mine has four.

I'm understanding that a Hopper acts as the primary tuner(s) and DVR.  The Joey will then hit-up the Hopper for a tuner or a recording.  That makes two sources in the rack, right???  Two sources that can act totally independent, right?

Matt Lowe, I understand you.  And, since Dish might be stingy with dispatching more than one Hopper3 to my job, I guess I'm forced to do regular Joeys.  Have you heard otherwise?  I would go on the Dish forums but they don't understand Control4 or centralized installs worth a damn.

Yes you are correct they would act totally independent in that the hopper and Joey would each have their own audio/video outputs. You can think of a hopper and 2 joeys as the same as having 3 DVrs in a rack. Only limitation is that the hopper has to be powered on all the time but that is normal operation. 

No reason to have more than one hopper anymore unless you are dealing with a bar or something. 

Archived