C4 Forums | Control4

Honeywell Alarm and C4 wiring

New to the group but I had an issue when I tried to wire my existing Honeywell Alarm to integrate with my c4 system. I got it working but hate the way I got it working. So, I am looking for advice.

Here is my issue. I bought the Honeywell circuit board (4232 CBM) to help the Alarm panel  "communicate" with my 800 controller. I stuck it inside the alarm panel with two-way tape, on the door, which made sense because the wires (power etc..) going to the alarm are right there that needed to be connected. However, to plug it into the 800 control I used a 12 pin serial cable which I cut the male portion off. I used the Orange, Green,  and Red for TX, RX and Ground pin wires for communication out of the serial cable. I then ran a CAT5 cable over from the 800 to the alarm panel about 8 feet away to connect to the RX, TX and Gound on the circuit board. This did not work. I asked an installer Friend and he said try moving the alarm closer to the 800 and get rid of the CAT5. Half-heartedly I tried it. Putting the physical alarm panel door with the 4232 CBM on top of the 800, connecting the serial wire direct and using the CAT5 for the power to the alarm. It instantly started working. UGLY work around. Out of curiosity I took it all back to the Alarm door and 4232 CBM back on the alarm box and ran the receiving wires back to the CAT5 again. Again, did not work but not UGLY. I asked my Friend again and he said you CANNOT use CAT5 to send and receive data from the alarm which baffles my mind. My next option is to peel the 4232 CBM (without damaging it somehow) and stick it to my 800 and run the serial cable to it again without the CAT5. Back to UGLY but working

Any advice/help on how to keep the panel door with 4232 CBM on the alarm panel box door AND have it communicate with the 800 controller?

Alright, I will bite and buy the RJ45 modular Serial Adapter. BUT a signal wire is a signal wire right? I'm just not sure how this adapter is going to solve my issue. please enlighten me as to why. Right now I have a serial cable I am using to plug into the serial port on the 800. I cut that cable because the other end was male and could not be used. I then found the Ground, RX, and TX wires which were Green, Orange and Red. I spliced in a CAT5 wire using almost the same colors except Brown is being used instead of Red. I pulled that into my 4232 CBM and nothing. BUT if I plus the serial cable directly without the CAT5 in the 4232 CBM using Green, Orange and Red, it works.

So, somehow I am losing signal in the 8 ft of CAT5 cable, right? How is an adapter and a 8 ft CAT5 going to fix this. Again, I'll bite but why? Here are some photo's of what I have temporarily put together.

20160808_204014.jpg

So it works if you plug it directly to the cable you cut? I use those adapters all the time with no issue. Maybe restrip the wire and get small wire nuts or beanies to secure connection and test again. It's most likely a pin out issue tho. 

Yeah, it works if I directly plug it into the wire I cut. But I have to take the alarm panel door off and put it close to the 800 because the 4232 CBM is stuck to the Alarm panel door. I ordered the adapter. Hope that works.

• 4 months later...

Circling back around on this. I bought the Tripp Lite adaptor. Hooked it all up, nothing. Cut off the two Cat 5 connectors and rewired, nothing. Put in a new Cat 5 cable, rewired, nothing. Pulled the 4232 Honeywell CBM off the alarm panel door and put it right next to my 800 control like before and wired it like before, nothing. This is driving me bonkers. Now even with the way it was working before it is now not working. Any other suggestions?

I know serial max transfer is 20 meters. try proper shielded cable not just the twisted pair. I haven't had issues with cat5 in industrial applications though so doubt it's the twisted pair. you have a soldering iron, and make sure your ugly connections are solid connections. else I've had weird comm's issues before where noise gets into the comm's cable that's why say try shielded.  

Archived