C4 Forums | Control4

Keypad programming problem

hank31980

I have a Adaptive Phase Dimmer Configurable Keypad that I am using to control my ceiling downlights.

Right Now with this Keypad, the 1st Button from the Top is used to Toggle the ceiling downlights between 100% Level and 0% Level.

What I want is to do is introduce the 2nd button down as a Dimmed Level, say 15% brightness, so a Dimmed level is easily accessed.

Functionality wise I want it to work something like this;

If lights are in the OFF condition

If I hit the Top Button then I get 100% Level of Lighting.

or

If I hit the 2nd Button Down then I get 15% Level of Lighting

If lights are now in this 100% ON state

If I hit the Top Button then I switch OFF the Lights.

or

If I hit the 2nd Button Down then I get 15% Level of Lighting

If lights are now in this 15% Dimmed ON state

If I hit the Top Button then I get 100% Level of Lighting.

or

If I hit the 2nd Button Down then I switch OFF the Lights.

Can anyone advise the best way of doing this, i.e. using Advanced Lighting Scene or just Conditionals & Actions?

Regards

Hank31980

Before you try to program this, beware. The top button might be bound to the lights. This is how a good programmer would do it. Your dealer has to unbind the top button from the lights, change its behavior, and bind it to a scene before you can program using that button.

Eddy

Your completely correct there. Thanks for the answer.

The Binding for the 1st button is the Toggle for the Advanced Lighting Downlights ON Scene.

Therefore the Binding required for the 2nd button will be the Toggle for the Advanced Lighting Downlights Dimmed Scene

Next is to add complexity of PIR sensors into the mix.

Regards

hank31980

OK it looks to be working.

2 Advanced Lighting Scenes created & Toggle Scenes created.

Lighting Loads & Levels set within Scenes.

LED ON OFF colours configured within Scenes.

Keypad buttons 1 & 2 set to Keypad behavior.

LED's set to Follow Bound Device

Button 1 Bound to On Scene

Button 2 Dimmed Scene

Et Voila, looks to be doing what I wanted.

Thanks again for the nudge in the right direction.

Yes, that's how to do it. Question, do you have a dedicated OFF button in the keypad? If you don't, turning off the light won't intuitive. Your subconscious has to keep track of the light level in order to know what button to press to turn the light off, just too complicated. Not to mention the WAF is 0%. And what happens when light level is not 100% or 15%? Neither button will turn the lights OFF, they just will activate their corresponding scenes.

Well, I created Scene Toggles for each of the 2 scenes with 0% as their target.

So if I press the Dimmed button I get 15% Dimmed.

If I then press the ON button I get 100%.

If I then go back to Dimmed button I get 15% dimmed again.............an so on.

Just how i wanted it.

If I press either  the On or the Dimmed button two times the Lights go OFF.

It means that I can go between preset levels & if I press the last button either Button 1 or Button 2 one more times, this Deactivates the scene 7 knocks the Lights OFF.

I'm happy with that.

17 minutes ago, etrochez said:

Yes, that's how to do it. Question, do you have a dedicated OFF button in the keypad? If you don't, turning off the light won't intuitive. Your subconscious has to keep track of the light level in order to know what button to press to turn the light off, just too complicated. Not to mention the WAF is 0%. And what happens when light level is not 100% or 15%? Neither button will turn the lights OFF, they just will activate their corresponding scenes.

All a matter of setting the tracking to what you (the end-user) finds 'intuitive'. The LED will also indicate the state. It's not your subconscious that needs to keep track - the system will.

You can always program both buttons on double tap in addition to the connection to turn the lights off...

At the moment I now have the Keypad's 2nd Button down Toggling a Dimmed Scene.

So I just want to add a Motion Sensor to also Activate the Dimmed Scene if the Lighting is  NOT already on either Dimmed Scene or ON Scene.

I can maybe use the Card Access Motion sensor's ability to block Motion sense during the day, to filter out the Motion sensor to just be only at Night.

I can maybe also use its Occupancy Hold time instead of introducing timers?

Unless you already HAVE one - I'd suggest getting an Axxess Ind motion instead, it'll make your 'details' easier to do right in the driver.

What you're looking to do is not all that complex, just an If statement on movement, add nighttime/time in another if statement if needed.

And yes, you could use occupancy time, especially if you use an Axxess :)

Archived