C4 Forums | Control4

Av reciever choice

Fozz

Question

I am looking to add a av reciever to control a projector and sound. Is there any benefit to buying a denon command series over any other denon for integration? I am considering the denon avr-s720w or the avrx1300w with command. The projector will be an Epson 5040ub. I'm not really stuck on denon for any reason but just wondering if the non command series will work fine. What extra control would a command series give me? Yes, I'm new!

5 answers to this question

Your AV receiver doesn't (and shouldn't via CEC) "control" your projector. In the most basic sense your system will have audio/video sources going into the receiver, video out of the receiver to your projector and speaker outputs from your receiver to your speakers. If you're concerned about control in the sense of how in the world you'll be turning on/off, switching, channels, play stop pause, volume etc then a discussion starting with: what is (or will be) your control system and how do you intend to control your equipment via that control system...IR, serial, IP, a combination of them?

After that, features, availability, source type/count, speaker type/count, and budget will dictate your AV receiver purchase.

I understand the wiring logistics but to reword my question. I have an ea5 controller and I am considering purchasing an av reciever for 7.1 sound. I'm just a little confused why denon has a line of recievers called the (in command )series that are documented as c4 or 3rd party compatable. Would all the new denon recievers integrate with my system? Also how can a non dealer find out if there is a driver available for a specific avr. Thanks for your time.

If you want the best integration with an AV receiver with C4, look into Sony ES. Marantz works well too and I prefer the sound of them over the Sony...obviously subjective. Most models from Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, Sony will work with C4...all depends if you're looking for IP, IR or serial control to determine which model.

Archived