C4 Forums | Control4

Best way to get stereo from HDMi matrix to audio matrix?

Tom Eriksen

Question

Hi.

Just swapped my non-HDBaseT 8x8 matrix for a Wyrestorm MX-0808-PP-POH-CUSTOM. This matrix is set up with six TX-POH-030 cards that has HDMi in and HDBT + optical/analog stereo out. (the last two slots is occupied by a pair of TX-POH-100 with HDBT in and HDMi out).

In my old setup, there was only HDMi in and out, so all splitting of audio and HDBT was done with separate baluns...  This made my setup a big mess, so was hoping that this new matrix (bought just as a test), would remove alot of those small baluns with their own 5V powers all over the place behind my rack ;-)

So; how would YOU set this up?

My wishes is to have the possibility to play all sources in all zones. I know this is pain, but that is what I'm aiming for and have had with my old setup.

Sources:

2 AppleTV's

2 Blu-ray players

2 PS3'S

HC800 (as navigator for all zones)

Cable box

Audio:

C4 matrix for 11 zones of stereo. (including 5 of the video zones. So want to test how the internal DAC of the Wyrestorm copes with this...) Would like AppleTV's for airplay in pure audio zones... Not sure how to fix that...

3 AVR 5.1 zones

Looking forward to your reply's! 

9 answers to this question

You won't like this one: You cannot properly do what you want with this setup.

The problem is that you are looking to connect 7 sources to only 5 available inputs.

That leaves that you are intending to wire a matrix into a matrix - which will cause issues (I've a long standing argument with a C4 engineer that says this isn't a problem anymore, but he is referring to another matrix to matrix issue that was solved, not the issue caused by C4's advanced audio pathing). I can write out the scenario of what would occur later if I have some time for it - you can decide for yourself if that will be an issue for you.

Of course, chances are you have this situation already - or you info is incomplete, and at least 2 of those sources are already wired into the audio matrix direct and you only need 5!

Thanks for your reply Cyknight!

To clearify (I hope):

C4 audiomatrix connections (as used with previous Hdmi matrix):

AppleTV, AppleTV, Cable Box, PS3, BluRay, BluRay, PS3, HC800 audio 1, + 2, C4 WMB - That makes 10 used inputs

HDMi matrix connections:

AppleTV, AppleTV,Cable Box, PS3, Bluray, Bluray, PS3, HC800 (Navigator)

7 zones (2 is AVR with 5.1) of video and audio, 5 zones is pure audio.

Would like to connect Video matrix directly to audio matrix with analog stereo out along with HDBT out (optical to the two AVR zones). For TV located at rack, I can use one of the HDMi outputs. 

I left the garage AVR 5.1 zone out for now as this is something I can fix IF I want ;-)

OK, so inputs aren't a problem as you'll be replacing.

I can only assume that the driver is made correctly, as I can't test this on a real system right now.

Basically your biggest problem is that the analogue and digital outputs mirror the HDBaseT outputs. This means using some tricks to bypass some of the issues this creates in C4, in addition to matrix to matrix issues in general.

The good news is that there was  driver released not so long ago that will help this immensely.

The one big trick is - do you want to be able to HEAR the video sources in rooms other than those that have TV. You mention you'd want ATV for airplay, but I'd instead just use the C4 Shairbridge option. I'll assume you'll go this recommended route)

I'm also assuming you have an HC800 or EA3/5 and that your system will be up to date.

Physical install.

From there, simply connect one connection for each video zone that uses the matrix or a receiver. Note that the output used MUST match the TV in use (make note of the connections.

Programming/virtual.

Do NOT copy the actual physical setup. Instead you'll want to (your dealer wants to) do the following

For each video zone drop in an A/V Path Setter driver.

Connect the TV's output to the A/V Path setter.

Connect the A/V Path setter to the audio matrix, or the respective receiver, matching the physical wire from the Wyrestorm.

Using the documentation in the driver, set accordingly.

Done.

Why the trickery? Because if you do not, you'll get that the system will use the outputs how it sees fit, which can cause 'unexplained' source stealing and other weird behaviour.

So to use my old 8x8 video matrix to expand the inputs of the new is a bad idea? Hehe 

Was actually thinking of using four of the inputs of the Wyrestorm and connect four of outputs of my cheapa$$ ebay video matrix. And by doing this creating a "12x8" video matrix... I have yet another a AppleTV and an extra cable box, so 8 video inputs is in fact too little.

And splice audio out to my audio matrix which in turn sends its audio to my C4 matrix amplifier...

so I would have:

video matrix to video matrix to audio matrix to matrix amplifier 

seeing problems with this?

I do all programming in CP myself. But I have only done my own and two other installs... So a lot of this is very new to me!

Won't Tom run into an issue if he's trying to output DD to his AVR for multichannel audio while also attempting to play stereo audio on another TV (assuming both TVs are sharing the same source).  Unless you have something that downmixes 2 channel audio, the video matrix would either not be able to send audio to your amp OR you'd be required to only send PCM/2ch audio from source to HDMI, then both locations would be stuck playing 2 channel audio (when you would expect multi-channel audio going to the AVR).

1 hour ago, JB1 said:

Won't Tom run into an issue if he's trying to output DD to his AVR for multichannel audio while also attempting to play stereo audio on another TV (assuming both TVs are sharing the same source).  Unless you have something that downmixes 2 channel audio, the video matrix would either not be able to send audio to your amp OR you'd be required to only send PCM/2ch audio from source to HDMI, then both locations would be stuck playing 2 channel audio (when you would expect multi-channel audio going to the AVR).

It would depend on the Wyrestorm's capabilities - I'm unsure of that models ability to downmix or not - but yes you'd be stuck with the lowest common denominator.

Yeah, this is one of my concerns and also something I want to check out ;-)

If I'm in need of a DAC or not for my audio matrix inputs.

I am hoping this HDMi/HDBT matrix can take away the pain of having all these small extra boxes with their own powersupply 's...

Archived