C4 Forums | Control4

iPhone App Security Issue

1 minute ago, StroTek LLC said:

im seeing lots of issues, not with control4. but perhaps with the kid and your itunes security?   #justsaying

I should point out again that this has nothing to do with iTunes or bank security.  Those passwords are separate and controlled.  Separate from the point of overall system security:

1) What good is a passcode that can be disabled by entering an invalid entry multiple times?

2) What good is Touch ID that disables itself as a feature if it fails to authenticate multiple times and won't come back as an option at all?

3) What good is having the ability to add multiple users to my account, if there's no way to delineate separate controls or permissions for those users at the system level?

4) What good is the Access agent, when it only operates at the global level, and even if you lock it down to limit changing rooms, users in a particular room can still access devices and audio in the whole house?  To add to this, we can lock the iPhone app in settings with a passcode and Touch ID, but with the Access agent, we can't use Touch ID, so my own use of the system is then inconvenienced by needing to add a passcode to do very common actions?

Don't get me wrong... I still love Control4 and I'm doing new stuff with it all the time.  This just highlights that the system is more meant for folks who don't mind if anybody who has access to the app has complete control of the house.  It's not how I would have designed the system, and it limits my ability to use it in a family context.

I would create a itunes account specifically for your kid.. and then using the parental controls, block him/her from downloading the control4 app.

Aslo if it were my kid, I would put them in time-out or something similar if they kept playing with the lights in my room, cos they thought it was a funny prank.

Once again.. this is my take on how to handle this, and I know people parent differently

Meh.  The kid already has his own iTunes account.  I'll have to go back and see if there's a way to block a particular app.  There didn't used to be.

I can go either way.  At the end of the day, it's my personal view that having the ability to designate room level permissions would be really useful in a variety of contexts, not just this one.  Duplex installs, rented rooms or rented areas of a common home, bed and breakfast or home away rental temporary access with limits to certain areas... I can think of all sorts of ways it could be useful.  

Okay, my original topic and case in point could have been dealt with by changing the "root cause"... but it got me started thinking about all the *other* reasons someone might want the ability to have the app installed without giving that user access to the whole home.  The fact that alternate users exist in the portal and that Access agent exists means someone at least half-heartedly thought about this.  It just seems they left it well below what it could have been.

I finally did get Touch ID back. I had to lock and unlock my phone again, which required that I enter my phone passcode because of the Touch ID authentication failures. 

So Control4 is showing the option based on a "Touch ID Available" API that returns false if authentication fails. That's pretty confusing and took a fair bit of tinkering to work out. Over all, better to show that option in the app permanently if the API ever returns true, and then if it returns false later, show a dialog indicating Touch ID use requires the user to enter the phone passcode again. 

Sorry for all the hubbub. Detailed and smooth user experiences are kind of a thing for me. I probably diluted the overall thought process by referencing the mechanism by which I discovered how all this works. 

Archived