C4 Forums | Control4

programming suggestion

abovedeck

Question

have a vista 20p using the houselogix hsim.  also use a lcd monitor for camera viewing.

I set up a program so that the tv shuts off when I arm the system during the day (when im not home), turns back on when I disarm the system, switches to energy saver mode when system is armed and the time daytime variable is false, and turn back to regular when the daytime variable changes and daytime is true. 

The problem I'm running in to is that when I disarm the system in the morning after being in "stay mode," my programming turns the tv "On" but because of the manufacturers IR settings, on and off are kind of the same.  I think the IR blast for ON and OFF are actually one POWER button that toggles.  So even though C4 send out a "ON" signal when the alarm panel is disarmed, it actually turns the monitor off.  I'd like to program it so that nothing happens with the TV monitor when the system goes from being armed stay to disarmed.  But I don't think you can program that way with a vista 20p.  So any creative suggestions?  I thought about setting up a scheduled time ie

when system is disarmed

if time is between 10am-10p

turn security monitor on

This way the monitor wont turn off if I disarm the system in the morning, but sometimes I may not leave the house till later so this wouldn't work well.

So, any thoughts?

THANKS.

10 answers to this question

17 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

are you sending the IR or turning the device on? they are different in COntrol4....

They are different, but the IR command from the manufacturer is the same for on and off.  The original remote only has a POWER button.  I'll try testing this again, but last I checked, both ON and OFF in C4 sends out the same IR signal.

21 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

are you sending the IR or turning the device on? they are different in COntrol4....

Yeah, as I expected and said in original post, ON and OFF send out the same IR command, and under IR command drop down, only "power toggle" is available.

Just now, abovedeck said:

Yeah, as I expected and said in original post, ON and OFF send out the same IR command, and under IR command drop down, only "power toggle" is available.

that sounds like a problem that is not going to be overcome easily...how is it being turned on?  Is c4 turning it on and power toggeling off?  Even if its a toggle, if c4 sent the on and you try to turn the device back on via On (not via sending IR) it shouldn't turn the device off

34 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

that sounds like a problem that is not going to be overcome easily...how is it being turned on?  Is c4 turning it on and power toggeling off?  Even if its a toggle, if c4 sent the on and you try to turn the device back on via On (not via sending IR) it shouldn't turn the device off

my programming is set to turn monitor on when system is disarmed. 

In the morning when I disarm the alarm, c4 sends a "on" command to the monitor. That turns off the tv because like I said, on and off are really just a power toggle. 

I think I just figured it out though and what I was kinda asking...

ill just set the programming like this:

when alarm is disarmed 

If security monitor is off 

Turn on 

that way in the morning since it's already on it won't send out a command. Easy fix. Not sure why I didn't think of this before ?

3 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

But you shouldn't have to do that. But ok.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

You're saying that if a device is already on, c4 should know that and not execute the instruction? 

5 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

If you turned the device on via c4 yes. What driver do you have for the monitor? Is it a video endpoint?

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Security monitor is video endpoint for the room. 

Driver is:

tv_ir_insignia_ns-lcd19a.c41

Archived