C4 Forums | Control4

Anyone using a Stick PC with RDP and 2.10?

makidoja

Hi All

I have a site which until the 2.10 update was accessible remotely for basic programming tasks as the link from site is very slow due to it being on Satellite broadband, The site has reasonable download speed but the upload is around 125kbps which is not fast enough to support the 2.10 remote connection according to tech support.

So my thoughts are to suggest to the client we install a stick PC, something like the Intel compute stick with RDP and composer pro on for our remote connection, this way only the basic keystokes / mouse movements and screen information are sent over the satellite connection.

Does anyone have experience of using an kind of stick PC with Composer Pro, if so what product would you recommend?

Mak

Hi Alan

Thanks for the reply, could you elaborate on the VPN setup to site, would this be to access the stick PC on site, or a link for Composer to the director?

I've never set up a VPN so i'm looking to experiment with my system, using the same router as the remote site im having problems with should prove if it will work, the only think im unsure of is if the satellite modem.

Thanks for any info

Mak

Hi Alan

Ok, i understand, I've set up a VPN with site using a Windows 7 machine here, I can VPN to site and access devices with a web front end, ie router AVR etc so the VPN is open.

However I cannot see the director listed and if I try and force a connection it fails, I can ping the director from my windows machine.

I also tried to putty into the director but I get a response of connection refused

Any pointers please?

MAK

Further testing, I can now SSH into the director and connect to the director using the Control 4 system manager over the VPN, but alas the connection is still not enough to get me a remote connection using Composer Pro.

Looks like this site is an on site only support, which is a pain for us if the client just wants a light adding to a scene !!

MAK

1 hour ago, makidoja said:

Further testing, I can now SSH into the director and connect to the director using the Control 4 system manager over the VPN, but alas the connection is still not enough to get me a remote connection using Composer Pro.

Looks like this site is an on site only support, which is a pain for us if the client just wants a light adding to a scene !!

MAK

So...trin them to do it themselves from a C4 nav?

• 2 weeks later...

OK so update time

After moving the customer to 2.10 on the advice of tech support, because of some bug fixes required by site, remote connection is impossible, they have obviously changed something in the remote connection timeout.

So I then tried a VPN to site, again same issue, connection to the director timed out every time.

Today I visited site, connected the laptop to with wifi and the system with composer pro 2.10, I then called another engineer back at the office and got him to teamviewer into my laptop on site, this worked, without any noticeable delay and was very usable.

So it looks like RDP is the way forward, next step we are going to purchase a Intel compute stick with win 10 and try installing composer pro 2.10 with teamviewer in the workshop and test to see how reliable this is, and if it looks good will install on site.

Mak

OK so update time

After moving the customer to 2.10 on the advice of tech support, because of some bug fixes required by site, remote connection is impossible, they have obviously changed something in the remote connection timeout.

So I then tried a VPN to site, again same issue, connection to the director timed out every time.

Today I visited site, connected the laptop to with wifi and the system with composer pro 2.10, I then called another engineer back at the office and got him to teamviewer into my laptop on site, this worked, without any noticeable delay and was very usable.

So it looks like RDP is the way forward, next step we are going to purchase a Intel compute stick with win 10 and try installing composer pro 2.10 with teamviewer in the workshop and test to see how reliable this is, and if it looks good will install on site.

Mak

We use team viewer all the time because of its high latency settings. A mini PC or computer stick running windows 10 is perfect. I would recommend charging the customer a service contract to keep that computer licensed for composer pro. Just be sure to disable that pc's composer pro license when not using it.

Happy Automating!!

On 11/10/2017 at 8:48 PM, dcovach said:

In case you're unaware, for the vpn connection to work properly make sure the local computer/network you're using to connect to the remote location is on a different subnet than the network of the remote location.  

Yea we did that, I can see other devices on the network, use web interface to access etc but the latency from the site is in the 700ms region for pings to google.com for instance

Upload speed is around 3mb and download is 20mb but the latency seems to be the killer.

MAK

On 12/10/2017 at 4:11 AM, VINCELdUB said:

We use team viewer all the time because of its high latency settings. A mini PC or computer stick running windows 10 is perfect. I would recommend charging the customer a service contract to keep that computer licensed for composer pro. Just be sure to disable that pc's composer pro license when not using it.

Yea we are looking at that, do you have a preference to a good stick / mini PC that just works?

We are looking at the Intel Compute Stick with Win10, they are about £130 incl vat

MAK

Archived