C4 Forums | Control4

Stored media is missing

I don't know when it happened but I think it was when I upgraded to 1.7. In any event, I have a network attached storage (PC running XP) on my system but for some reason when I go to media in composer and it doesn't list my media server. Under connections the network attached storage the share is connected. The other strange thing is the music that I scanned still plays and shows up on GUI, but I can't scan any of my new music.

Has anyone else experienced this problem. I've deleted my system and rebuilt it. I also have saved projects that show the media share under media but as soon as load them into the HTC the media share goes away. If it is the new 1.7 can I roll back? If so how?

I attached screenshots so you can see what I'm seeing.

I am using 1.3, it was late when I was posting, hence the typo. I don't have 1.7. As far as going back to my dealer...well I got through Tweeter and they are out of business so that's not an option. If anyone has the composer home edition to share please do. Or if someone is aware of this problem and knows of a fix please share. Thanks!

I have reached out to a couple of dealers and most of these guys are a rip off. I have the system in place and these guys want to charge me a few hundred dollars for something that will probably 10 minutes. I know how to do this and I have been maintaining my system for the last two years. I have the composer software, so why do I need a dealer. I'm reasonable and I'll pay for something but it's got to be worth it.

More importantly, why did the system do this and has anyone else had similar happen to them. If so what is the fix.

if you have 1.3 and upgraded to 1.7 with 1.3 that is your problem and your fault. Pay the price and have a dealer come fix the issues and STOP USING COMPOSER. The more you use 1.3 on a 1.7 project the more damage you do.

I have reached out to a couple of dealers and most of these guys are a rip off. I have the system in place and these guys want to charge me a few hundred dollars for something that will probably 10 minutes. I know how to do this and I have been maintaining my system for the last two years. I have the composer software, so why do I need a dealer. I'm reasonable and I'll pay for something but it's got to be worth it.

More importantly, why did the system do this and has anyone else had similar happen to them. If so what is the fix.

You need a dealer because it sounds like you just upgraded to 1.7 with Composer 1.3, which broke your system. At this point, there's nothing you can do to fix it. Your dealer will need to check to make sure nothing was corrupted in the upgrade, but it will be hard to tell if you will have problems later on if something is "half baked" - he might have to install from scratch 1.7 and then re-insert your programming. In this scenario, having a dealer do your upgrades would have cost you "a few hundred bucks" at first, but without it, it looks like it's going to cost much more than a simple in place upgrade. Save a nickel now but end up costing a dime later. Just my opinion.

WOW!!!

The Audacity!!

You have Composer Software. You know how to do this!!??

Good Luck finding assistance here.

I'm trying to be polite as it seems my admonishment of those who have the PIRATED Composer Pro are being deleted. Really don't understand this?

Quit Using Composer!!

I'm going to say this as polite as I can. All of you dealers who get on your high-horses are the joke. This forum is for everyone, and if someone makes a post then it's that person's right. If you don't want to share/help then don't if you do then share. If I'm not mistaken there is as dealer-only forum. You guys are akin to the non-smokers who go to the smokers lounge and complain about the smoke. If you smug SOB's used your heads you could find that a person like myself could be a potential for business. I never said that I wouldn't pay, I just said that I didn't want to be ripped off. I actually had a few smart dealers approach me to fix the problem for a more reasonable price and guess what problem resolved and someone got paid.

On a slightly different note, but one I think is relevant, I am an independent professional network engineer (CCNP/CCVP) by trade and I post replies on forums all of the time for things that I could get paid good money do and you know what, I've picked up several new customers as a result because there are a lot of people who think they can but soon find out they can't. And those people will reach out to the person who was willing to share info because they have rapport and that person who shared has demonstrated he/she knows the subject matter. Sometimes if you look past the trees you might see the forest. I have since had my problem fixed by a dealer. I have shared my experience with other DIY people like myself and who know they may come to me to get referred to the dealer who helped me.

The last thing I'm going to say is this, when it comes to picking up a new dealer like Codeman has suggested I do. I tried that before (more than once) and I had a hard time finding one who wanted to come in to fix piddly things. I actually approached people on this forum as well because I can give people network access to my network via SSL, VPN, or Remote Desktop and guys seem less than interested because I don't have the big projects. These guys only want the big projects (i.e jetson type house with all of the bells and whistles) where as my C4 system is a basic setup one room...basically a more user friendly remote control for my wife and that's not the sexy project for dealers. So before you criticize you should realize that everything is as transparent and simple as most you people who are criticizing.

I'm going to say this as polite as I can. All of you dealers who get on your high-horses are the joke. This forum is for everyone, and if someone makes a post then it's that person's right. If you don't want to share/help then don't if you do then share. If I'm not mistaken there is as dealer-only forum. You guys are akin to the non-smokers who go to the smokers lounge and complain about the smoke. If you smug SOB's used your heads you could find that a person like myself could be a potential for business. I never said that I wouldn't pay, I just said that I didn't want to be ripped off. I actually had a few smart dealers approach me to fix the problem for a more reasonable price and guess what problem resolved and someone got paid.

On a slightly different note, but one I think is relevant, I am an independent professional network engineer (CCNP/CCVP) by trade and I post replies on forums all of the time for things that I could get paid good money do and you know what, I've picked up several new customers as a result because there are a lot of people who think they can but soon find out they can't. And those people will reach out to the person who was willing to share info because they have rapport and that person who shared has demonstrated he/she knows the subject matter. Sometimes if you look past the trees you might see the forest. I have since had my problem fixed by a dealer. I have shared my experience with other DIY people like myself and who know they may come to me to get referred to the dealer who helped me.

The last thing I'm going to say is this, when it comes to picking up a new dealer like Codeman has suggested I do. I tried that before (more than once) and I had a hard time finding one who wanted to come in to fix piddly things. I actually approached people on this forum as well because I can give people network access to my network via SSL, VPN, or Remote Desktop and guys seem less than interested because I don't have the big projects. These guys only want the big projects (i.e jetson type house with all of the bells and whistles) where as my C4 system is a basic setup one room...basically a more user friendly remote control for my wife and that's not the sexy project for dealers. So before you criticize you should realize that everything is as transparent and simple as most you people who are criticizing.

I tried being polite with you as well.

POS individuals like yourself are the smug ones who PIRATE PROPRIETARY SOFTWARE and come to forums like this to receive assistance because your not as smart as you once thought.

I have assisted many individuals here and other forums but NONE who are using PIRATED PRO.

You are Stealing and asking for assistance doing so.

Plain and simple, if you have children do you advocate them stealing as well?

As eluded with large projects with all the bells and whistles I have a very large variety of projects out there.

NONE of my clients have Pro and I do have some Very Intelligent Clients.

They unlike yourself choose to travel the Honest Road instead of the DisHonest Trail!

KJ, who said I pirated the composer. Did you ever ask me that? You calling me a thief only show how much of a half-wit you really are. I never called your clients not intelligent. Nor did I ask you specifically for help. Pro was given to me when my dealer went DOA becuase I was losing the support. As far as stealing, I would pay for anything that is worth paying for. If C4 would learn that there are people like myself who would like to do things myself and allow me to purchase composer then we would. I'll close with this, I'm sure that you do things everyday that you could pay a professional do, but if/when you can do it yourself I'm sure you do. The only reason you care about this is because you think people like me cost you business, but truth is people like you would rather scold me than try and convert me. I'm not a threat to you your narrow mindedness is.

KJ, who said I pirated the composer. Did you ever ask me that? You calling me a thief only show how much of a half-wit you really are. I never called your clients not intelligent. Nor did I ask you specifically for help. Pro was given to me when my dealer went DOA becuase I was losing the support. As far as stealing, I would pay for anything that is worth paying for. If C4 would learn that there are people like myself who would like to do things myself and allow me to purchase composer then we would. I'll close with this, I'm sure that you do things everyday that you could pay a professional do, but if/when you can do it yourself I'm sure you do. The only reason you care about this is because you think people like me cost you business, but truth is people like you would rather scold me than try and convert me. I'm not a threat to you your narrow mindedness is.

Your dealer is just as guilty as yourself

You are not stealing?

What do you think you are doing every time you open the software?

You call me the half-wit.. :lol::lol: This coming from someone so eager to show his own ignorance.

Convert? Maybe therapy would work wonders. Where are your Ethics?

yeah Codeman you're right that did take a turn for the ugly. I apologize because that's not my style. I just hate how some of the dealers want to talk crap to people because they like to do things themselves (regardless if it's out of need or desire).

What really pisses me off is for a guy who knows nothing about me to call me a thief and say I have no ethics....a person like that in my opinion is a complete moron. I went the legit way to acquire my C4 (I didn't break into someone's house and steal it), but the dealer went out of business leaving S.O.L. But I'm the bad guy. The irony is that not once did that idiot K&J contact me to say "hey I can fix your system for this $$$" we could've possibly negotiated an amicable price. Instead he was quick to criticize me for seeking help. Yet I'm the bad guy.

It's easy for guys like that to live in a shell point every finger except the thumb. If he'd offered a price like the other person had done I could've been a customer of his but someone else got my money. But like I said, he can't see the forest for the trees and his head is stuck so far up his you know what that he'll continue to pound his chest like he's right or better than I am. But the truth is, if he didn't want to help he didn't have to but he also didn't have to jump on my post and bash me either. But again I'm the bad guy.

I'll close with this...if my asking for assistance was that wrong no one would've replied. There are plenty of posts out here that go un answered.

yeah Codeman you're right that did take a turn for the ugly. I apologize because that's not my style. I just hate how some of the dealers want to talk crap to people because they like to do things themselves (regardless if it's out of need or desire).

What really pisses me off is for a guy who knows nothing about me to call me a thief and say I have no ethics....a person like that in my opinion is a complete moron. I went the legit way to acquire my C4 (I didn't break into someone's house and steal it), but the dealer went out of business leaving S.O.L. But I'm the bad guy. The irony is that not once did that idiot K&J contact me to say "hey I can fix your system for this $$$" we could've possibly negotiated an amicable price. Instead he was quick to criticize me for seeking help. Yet I'm the bad guy.

It's easy for guys like that to live in a shell point every finger except the thumb. If he'd offered a price like the other person had done I could've been a customer of his but someone else got my money. But like I said, he can't see the forest for the trees and his head is stuck so far up his you know what that he'll continue to pound his chest like he's right or better than I am. But the truth is, if he didn't want to help he didn't have to but he also didn't have to jump on my post and bash me either. But again I'm the bad guy.

I'll close with this...if my asking for assistance was that wrong no one would've replied. There are plenty of posts out here that go un answered.

What the fudge do you call what you are doing?

Every time you open the Pro Software you are using a Pirated Proprietary Software!!

STEALING!!! No Ethics, No Morals POS! Then state that everyone else is a bad guy.. Funny :lol::lol:

Again, do you advocate your children steal as well?

Don't worry I will not call you that any longer.

Have a Wonderful Year!

Dealer runing 1.7 connected to my network over VPN then connected to the system and scanned the new music. He's going to order the composer HE 1.7 for me so I can manage my music going forward.

He also tweeked a couple things to make the system run smoother.

Tum -

If you've experienced similar and you need assistance send me an email and I'll forward your info over to the dealer who helped me. I don't want to post his info here because I don't know if he wants it here. But then again maybe K&J can help you since he's got so much to say.

Neil -

I can appreciate your hard work as much as anyone. I don't know if you saw my post about my network background but I have several very painful certifcations that cost me in the tens of thousands plus years to get so I understand the effort and the fact that you guys put in the time and $$$. I by no means want to bastardize your investment. But my point to K&J all along was that I only asked a question and a he didn't have to respond to me if he didn't want to...I wasn't holding him at gun point and stealing his knowledge. And he definitely didn't have to try and be-rate me for sure. Moreover, what was lost in all of that was another reasonable dealer like yourself approached me and now he's got a new customer. In addition to, that I didn't say all dealers have a high-horse mentality, I was just pointing out one like K&J do. Trust me there is a mutal respect and I apologize if I came across as if there wasn't one. The irony is I've received 6 emails from people who totally agree with me.

I'll pose a different type of question to you...do you think it was fair that you had to go the dealer route to get deeper with implementing control4?

The reality is there are people who will find an avenue to do whatever they want regardless of whether C4 agrees or not. Then there are the other people who will be more than willing to hire good people like yourself to do it for them. Like I mentioned earlier I am a cisco engineer, but if you go to Cisco.com there is information on how to do just about everything with cisco products, they even have videos, but that doesn't bother me in the least bit because there there are millions of guys like me making real good living as cisco experts because the truth is most people just don't understand what we've put in the time to learn. Like you said, some of this stuff is just too complicated for the average Joe.

I'll close with this, confident/competent dealers will share and not care that there are DIY'ers because they know that if they are good at their craft there will be plenty of opportunities for them. At least that's the approach I take to my craft.

Archived