C4 Forums | Control4

Cisco Telepresence

AmalieLee

Hello all,

I am designing a Cisco Telepresence solution for our conference room. Currently we have a Crestron system in there that controls the Binary HDMI matrix, 3 TVs, Onkyo receiver for audio and the 8 sources. 

We will be ripping the Crestron out and installing C4 to go along with the rest of our conference rooms. The Cisco SX80 codec comes with a Touch10 touchscreen to control the Telepresence, they have an open API called xAPI to be able to tie a 3rd party control system in to control the room from the Touch10 so you're not jumping from an iPad to the Touch10 and so on. 

Question is, is there a driver out there for Control4? Our dealer says he hasn't been able to find one but knowing him I'm sure he researched for 15 mins and gave up. 

I'd really like to be able to use the C4 to switch inputs/outputs on the matrix and possibly even tie in the lights. Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance!

No driver for C4.  Not only that, C4 isn't geared toward these types of installs.

Extron, on the other hand, does have a driver to use the xAPI and Touch 10 screen.  I'm sure there was a reason with installing Crestron in the first place.

Why is it being ripped out??

It's being ripped out because it is 10+ years old and we have Control4 everywhere else. Telepresence was not thought about 10 years ago when installed. image.png.477a2f6bb5e85a7b71dda430cd9ecf24.png

If they say 3rd party control systems like Apple Homekit and Android are able to work with it I'm a bit shocked Control4 isn't able to. 

It's being ripped out because it is 10+ years old and we have Control4 everywhere else. Telepresence was not thought about 10 years ago when installed. image.png.477a2f6bb5e85a7b71dda430cd9ecf24.png
If they say 3rd party control systems like Apple Homekit and Android are able to work with it I'm a bit shocked Control4 isn't able to. 
Able to and someone wrote a driver for are not the same thing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

C4 doesn't have the architecture built for this type of control or should I say product.  C4 is built upon proxies and audio/video conferencing isn't one of them.  That is why most, if not all, commercial integrators will propose Crestron, Extron or AMX type control systems.  They are geared to work with commercial product.  C4 is not.

59 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

You could always use C4 to select the Cisco using a "no control" driver, then use the Touch 10 for interfacing with the codec.

All depends on what you're using with C4, keypads, touch screens, remotes??

We have 6 button keypads in our conference rooms. If Control4 could do what I was hoping it would just be the Touch10 in this room for control with some C4 lighting. Looks like I will be upgrading the Crestron though. I want the easiest solution for the older generation of our company. Jumping from iPad to Touch10 to iPad etc. won't fly. 

Thanks for the input guys.

Well, in that case, you could keep the 6 button keypads near the entry door to the rooms and label the button VTC or something.  C4 will turn everything on that's required, then you use the Touch 10 to do what you need for the Cisco system.

Some customers don't mind this, but others do.  YMMV.

Either way, sounds like the control system needs to be updated anyways to a more modern system and look.

Archived