C4 Forums | Control4

Apple FrontRow & Control4

ringlis

Has anyone integrated Apple's FrontRow software (i.e., running on a Mac Mini, iMac, MacBook) with a Home Controller? FrontRow uses Apple's small white remote control to load DVD, stored video files, photos & music. The remote is IR so, given the Mac was already on, it should be feasible to control using an IR relay but I don't see any drivers for Apple computers in composer .

I appreciate that I could build the driver but I'm very new to Control4 and aren't sure how much time it would take to build the driver and I'm also concerned there are other barriers I'm not anticipating.

Any help or advice appreciated!

The driver should be easy enough to build - not many buttons on the Apple remote! However, the only catch I see is that you would need proper video distribution such that you could pull up the Apple display on any TV in the house in order to see and select the music you'd like to play. Also, you would lose out on the functionality of viewing and selecting music via a MTS or remote. If you are doing this for music distribution only (not pulling up videos) then you may want to just consider the C4 iPod dock - which I believe does video as well.....

Thanks for the feedback BTL and AA!:):) Nice to know the codes are the same, looking closer the remotes are the same across Mac products so that should make it easy to control any Apple product that has IR.

The Mac Mini would primarily be a video solution as I think we'd map the client's iTunes folder via a local Cat5e for integration with an HC-300 for music. We're using the Sony Video Switcher to distribute video throughout the house.

The goal is really to find a Mac based solution that will let allow the client to stream home and downloaded movies (primarily .avi files) to 3 TVs. I was thinking of adding a Mac Mini as a source to the Sony AV switch but after a bit more research last night a Netgear EVA 9150 might be simpler. I'm also reading there are Apple TV hacks that let you access local video (not just rented movies & tv shows) but I'm looking for more of an "off-the-shelf" solution for distributed video.

Netgear EVA 9150 might be simpler. I'm also reading there are Apple TV hacks that let you access local video (not just rented movies & tv shows) but I'm looking for more of an "off-the-shelf" solution for distributed video.

I have a "hacked" Apple TV and it works great, getting it hacked was a little complicated but not to bad. If you can find yourself an "off-the-shelf" solution, I agree that it would be simpler and easier from a dealer perspective. The Netgear 9150 is what I'm also waiting for, for $399 it will play way more file formats then the AppleTV can, has a 500G swapable hard drive and can search your entire network and categorize almost any file format. Down side it's not out until Mar. '09 :(

I have an Apple TV in my setup that I use with the C4 remote. I added Boxee to the Apple TV and now it is an unbelievable solution. Boxee is a splinter from XBMC and it allows you to play almost any media type, connect to other sources, view internet content (hulu, cbs, bcc, etc). The Apple TV by itself was alright, with the addition of Boxee it is extremely useful. And I can use Boxee as the front end to get to any other media on my local network.

• 3 months later...

AH...Frontrow can now be controlled wirelessly from an iphone/itouch ....see the app rowmote.

I've taken this little app and tested it on 4 networked macmini's/imacs.

Why am I telling you this...well it's totally awesome..It's blown me away. So simple. You walk around with an iphone in your hand, select which mac (zone) you want and bingo this 99c app wakes up the mac and launches and controls front row. No IR required!

Will also do the same for boxee and xbmc....even plex...I mean wonders never cease....this whole automation field is moving at lightening pace...

Is this how the Frontrow/xbmc driver operates within C4?..or is it more 2 way? If so fantastic!

Archived