C4 Forums | Control4

internet radio

rhardin

The ability to plugin a url for an audio stream from a local (or national for that matter) radio station and have distributed via c4 throughout the house is not that far off technically from what they can presently do with Rhapsody audio streams. Albeit, simpler IMHO in that there's no interactive navigation required past the initial selection of the radio stream. I could see a media list of Internet Radio Stations that would fill the necessary UI requirements.

• 1 month later...

Where does Access to the Rhapsody music service exist under the controllers GUI? I'm assuming Rhapsody lives under the "Music" button, but can it be split? ie is this user selectable via programming?

For example, could you program Rhapsody "Radio" channels to live under the "Radio" button and the rest of the service live somewhere else?

I guess this question actually illustrates why I find the whole "fixed" GUI so confusing. Is it just the main screen that is fixed (and every other sub menu flexible and "moveable" under other buttons, or is there a more "fixed" format for sub menus as well.

This is well exemplified with all the different delivery paths of music now....and why for that matter a more flexible GUI is now urgently needed. "Radio", Music", "Internet Radio", "Rhapsody", "Sirus", "Streaming", "Music service" "Playlist" "Itunes library" "Mp3 tracks"..whatever...it's all "MUSIC"! - really the source is irrelevant to user..:D

Where does Access to the Rhapsody music service exist under the controllers GUI? I'm assuming Rhapsody lives under the "Music" button, but can it be split? ie is this user selectable via programming?

For example, could you program Rhapsody "Radio" channels to live under the "Radio" button and the rest of the service live somewhere else?

I guess this question actually illustrates why I find the whole "fixed" GUI so confusing. Is it just the main screen that is fixed (and every other sub menu flexible and "moveable" under other buttons, or is there a more "fixed" format for sub menus as well.

This is well exemplified with all the different delivery paths of music now....and why for that matter a more flexible GUI is now urgently needed. "Radio", Music", "Internet Radio", "Rhapsody", "Sirus", "Streaming", "Music service" "Playlist" "Itunes library" "Mp3 tracks"..whatever...it's all "MUSIC"! - really the source is irrelevant to user..:D

If the source doesn't matter to the user, and it's all "music", and that's where .mp3 and Rhapsody live now, why would you want to break it out? Sorry I'm a little confused by the beginning points and the last sentence of your post.

Everything about the structure of the GUI is fixed.

Thanks. I didn't actually realize Rhapsody lived under the music button. Or does it???

See it is confusing....

I was a fraction verbose (appologies) :rolleyes:

The point I was making is why have a "Radio" button at all? I mean who actually listens to the radio anymore?

This is like from last century -"Hello" Control has to modern up it's GUI so generation y knows how to use it!!;)

Thanks. I didn't actually realize Rhapsody lived under the music button. Or does it???

See it is confusing....

I was a fraction verbose (appologies) :rolleyes:

The point I was making is why have a "Radio" button at all? I mean who actually listens to the radio anymore?

This is like from last century -"Hello" Control has to modern up it's GUI so generation y knows how to use it!!;)

Uh, I still listen to the radio. Almost every day. They came installed in this other "old-fashioned" thing I use every day they call a "car". :P

Hey that's from the Flintstone family's install... of course there is a driver for it.

Is it serial or IP? I do know the unit is bluetooth enabled. Also can Control4 handle HD8T? (that is 'hi-def 8track' for all you lo-tech people)

Being that the thread is on "Internet Radio"... has anyone checked out Logitech's "SQUEEZE BOX"? http://radiotime.com/partners/slim.aspx

I have a few clients with this in play, and it delivers literally thousands of channels from every country on the planet... and is IR controlled. Seems for some this is key to RADIO.

Edit: Connects wireless to your network.

I got an email from xm stating that to listen to xm online would soon not be free to those having a subscription on a radio. It would once again, like a few years back, require an extra fee to be able to sign on and listen online. We will see if this actually happens as the email didn't state a date that this transition would occur or the price tag.

Ummmm, Just going back to the original question.:/

Can C4 deliver internet radio? y/n.

If not - why not?

This technology has now been around a long time. Just about EVERY radio station on the planet has an internet "stream" for delivering it's content.

We all know there are several other networked and IP related music system delivery devices that can. Some have already been mentioned. Most do it free.

So what's the problem?

Ummmm, Just going back to the original question.:/

Can C4 deliver internet radio? y/n.

If not - why not?

This technology has now been around a long time. Just about EVERY radio station on the planet has an internet "stream" for delivering it's content.

We all know there are several other networked and IP related music system delivery devices that can. Some have already been mentioned. Most do it free.

So what's the problem?

Here is a quote from Alan that answers your question.

this is already possible using 3rd party equipment such as internet tuners and media players. Example yamaha's high end receivers have net tuners inbuilt or my xbmc driver has net tuning inbuilt as well.

It is possible to have your C4 system control a device that will deliver IP radio.

If your question is can a product that C4 sells naively deliver IP radio. The answer is no. Why? C4 just does not currently offer a product that naively provides this feature.

Archived