C4 Forums | Control4

PoE Switch

ILoveC4

Hey guys, my router is full and I am getting ready to add PoE devices to my system. What do you think of this switch?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CISCO-WS-C3524-PWR-XL-EN-24-PORT-3500-POE-POWER-SWITCH_W0QQitemZ330299218534QQihZ014QQcategoryZ11183QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff, but it looks like a good price?

Also, if 8 ports would be enough, what about this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Linksys-SLM2008-Gigabit-Ethernet-Switch-with-PoE_W0QQitemZ120366709065QQihZ002QQcategoryZ51268QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't know what to look for in this stuff. It appears my dealer is going/gone out of business - I probably need to find another one. I just want some recommendations from you guys, and see if I can maybe save some cash buying on eBay.

Just make sure it has the juice to PoE whatever devices you're looking to use.

I plan to add some mini touch panels, maybe the seven inch if I can muster up enough cash. I could see adding three of these. The other thing would be three or four cameras. I couldn't see myself using more than 8 PoE ports. What do I need to look for when buying one of these?

Some switches can give full power to all ports, some can only give full power to half, power to none, it should say in the specs of the router. As long as it's IEEE 802.3af its fine for the c4 gear, but be careful with power requirements of PoE cameras, they can really pull the juice (some axis models outdoor rated with heaters for example)

I guess I should also state that down the line, later this year, I plan to add a large NAS and the EVA9150. I have been holding off on BlueRay until I had a good distribution option and it looks like the EVA9000 and a NAS would be a better solution than a blueray changer.

I am not to worried about sound/noise from the fan. Everything is located in a storage room down in the basement.

Archived