C4 Forums | Control4

OSD, what can I add to my EA-3 to get it

I have a rack mount EA-3 system using all 4 video inputs. I want OSD on my main TV. I see loads of controllers HC200, 250,300’s etc on eBay. Can I use one to put the OSD on my tv, if so what’s the best way or are there better options. 

Cat6 hdmi extender to the tv or at minimum an hc250 which has an undetermined shelf life on future upgrades. Don't waste time with a 200, 300, 500 as they are composite only and have already been shell's long ago. Plus they are more susceptible to power supply failures

Thanks for the reply. Forgot to add. I already have cat5 from the video matrix in the rack pushing dvd, TiVo and firestick to the tv via a balun, so would I ditch the balun and replace with the HC250 and that’s all I would need along with my dealer programming it in. 

You would keep your current video distribution as is. And add the hc250 to the back of the tv and it would switch inputs when OSD is needed. A control4 controller cannot receive video from a video matrix acting like a receiver. And ideally you would want the controller hardwired instead of being on WiFi. So that being said buying a hc250 vs extending the HDMI output of your existing EA3 may not be that different in cost

Please forgive my stupid questions I am new  😁. Would the 250 not need to be connected via the existing single cat5 that feeds the tv now (via balun) or would it would just plug in and be connected by Wi-Fi and have a hdmi cable to another input in the tv, so when I request OSD it will change input on the tv and display it. Then when I select say Firestick via the OSD it will switch input on the tv back and the EA-3 in the rack will switch the video matrix to the firestick input and bingo it just works. 

19 minutes ago, Stevestobo said:

or would it would just plug in and be connected by Wi-Fi and have a hdmi cable to another input in the tv, so when I request OSD it will change input on the tv and display it. Then when I select say Firestick via the OSD it will switch input on the tv back and the EA-3 in The Rack will switch the video matrix to the firestick input and bingo it just works.

This is correct. The cat5 or 6 that runs to the tv and plugs into the receiver is not network so you cannot plug any device other than a receiver into it. Do you have any other spare cables ran from the rack to the tv? Ideally you will want the HC250 hardwired to the network but is not necessary

Nah just the single cat5, the Wi-Fi network in my house is really good, all Pakedge stuff. 

5 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

What kind of matrix do you have?  Some are capable of having network available on the receivers.

I run a wyrestorm hdmi series 4x4 video matrix it was in the rack before I upgraded the old Opus system to control4

• 2 weeks later...

Decided not to go with another controller behind the TV and just used a cheap HDMI switch to have a very rarely used DVD player share the EA-3 output for the OSD in to my Wyrestorm 4x4 matrix.  I understand this is not the best way or reccomended way to run the OSD but just to see if anyone apart from me (and I only rarely) uses it. So far no one else has used it in the last week.

Thanks for everyones replies.:)

Archived