C4 Forums | Control4

Pakedge OpenVPN Server on RE-2

GaryK

I've recently lost the ability to access my network through the RE-2's OpenVPN server and iPhone OpenVPN client. Several things have changed since I last was able to connect. The router's firmware, OpenVPN iOS client, and iOS version have all changed recently. All are at the latest versions. My connections were infrequent enough that it's not clear what may have caused the problem. I've spoken with my dealer, but Pakedge is still new to them.

I've reloaded the iOS Client, loaded a new router-generated auto-login profile,  and tried a different iOS device. No luck. Anyone else have this issue?

Log snippet:

2018-06-14 15:44:26 EVENT: RESOLVE
2018-06-14 15:44:26 Contacting [IP Address]:1194/UDP via UDP
2018-06-14 15:44:26 EVENT: WAIT
2018-06-14 15:44:26 Connecting to [IP Address]:1194 (IP Address) via UDPv4
2018-06-14 15:44:37 Server poll timeout, trying next remote entry...
2018-06-14 15:44:37 EVENT: RECONNECTING

This repeats until timeout. I didn't need a port forward for 1194 before, do I need one now?

OpenVPN provides secured access directly to the network equipment. Other externally-available avenues of access reach services like the NVR. DDNS is something different.

I know what OpenVPN is and the other avenues that do the same.

If your ISP is giving you a static, public IP, create a new port on the router exclusively for your VPN access (I wouldn't use 80 and keep that open to public).

You'd use your username and password to login to it.

I guess I'm not following your reasoning so I digress.

example: 207.72.75.168:35000 > this would be your server/ip

Thank you lippavisual for your patience.

This was working before with the default Pakedge configuration. I didn't create a new port previously. The tool used to create the configuration file to authorize the OpenVPN client doesn't provide an option for port number. 1194 appears to be the default.

Archived