C4 Forums | Control4

Replacing old intercom/doorbell

northernlights

Question

Have an old M&S intercom throughout the house integrated with our front door bell(s). Its time to get rid of the intercom and get a video doorbell (either door bird or c4). 

1. I have 6 wire going to the door bell back to the existing master intercom controller and then 6 wire out to all the intercom stations

2. I have only one touchscreen in my house currently(kitchen)

3. I don't want to replace ALL of my intercom room stations, but am willing to replace a few strategic ones

4. I have alexa (echo dot) throughout the house

5. I'd like to have someone ring the front doorbell and:

a) Hear the doorbell throughout my house and possibly in my backyard(i have one existing patio room station)

b) Be able to see who's at the door from the intercom app, touch screen(s) and any of the TV's if they are on

6. I'd like to use any existing touch screens as intercoms

Anybody have any suggestions on the hardware to make this work in a "value" driven way?

3 answers to this question

Question is, what do you think the value price should be?  Basically, with C4's intercom solution (even using 3rd party hardware like doorbird), you will still need to replace everything.

It does not integrate with existing analog intercom systems.  It's all/some or nothing.  

21 hours ago, lippavisual said:

Question is, what do you think the value price should be?  Basically, with C4's intercom solution (even using 3rd party hardware like doorbird), you will still need to replace everything.

It does not integrate with existing analog intercom systems.  It's all/some or nothing.  

Not valuable would be replacing all 8 room stations with touch pad screens. Otherwise everything else in play. 

You could always piece it together over time and add when you get the funds.  Do your main areas that you definitely need it, live with it for a bit, then decide if you'd like to expand it.

You could always cobble together your own intercom system using PTT style, in wall mics and a big audio switch and an IOX.  But at that point and the time it will take to diy it, might as well just buy the right product from the get-go.

Archived