C4 Forums | Control4

Advice needed for a C4 newbie (me)

Hello all. I'm quite excited that I stumbled across this forum. Frankly the info that i've received from the C4 website has caused more confusion than good.

I'm trying to set up some basic automation functions and am so confused at the various controllers and their functions.

They all seem to provide the same basic functions with slight variations. I was hoping I could get some good honest advice. Here is what I'm looking for:

Starting out small. Ideally would like one 3.5" touchscreen controller.

I would like access to some sort of music database. Either on my computer, ipod or a controller with a hard drive. Then I would like to control the distribution of the music to different zones.

I would like to be able to control my TV and high def converter.

Eventually lighting, security, and web access would be on my list.

I went to a local store that carries C4 and they put together a small system for 2K....wtf

Can I get some advice as to the components that I would need (and their functions if it's not too much to ask) in order to put together a basic, but expandable system?

I see that fleabay has some great deals on AVM-HTC1-B's. But in all honesty, I have no clue if this controller would even work for what I want it for.

I hope i've provided enough info. Thank you for your time and any advice that you'd be willing to give.

Cheers!

Stan

Hello all. I'm quite excited that I stumbled across this forum. Frankly the info that i've received from the C4 website has caused more confusion than good.

I'm trying to set up some basic automation functions and am so confused at the various controllers and their functions.

They all seem to provide the same basic functions with slight variations. I was hoping I could get some good honest advice. Here is what I'm looking for:

Although it costs a bit more I would recommend the 7" touchscreen. The screen is bigger and it is newer hardware.

I would like access to some sort of music database. Either on my computer, ipod or a controller with a hard drive. Then I would like to control the distribution of the music to different zones.

This can all be done with C4. Any C4 controller can access music on an external USB or network hard drive, iPod or your computer. The HC-500 has a built in hard drive that you can store music on.

C4 has 4 and 8 zone amps to distribute the audio.

No problem here. All C4 controllers have IR ports that you can use to control most IR controllable hardware. As long as you have the proper wiring from your controller to the equipment this will be standard stuff cor C4.

C4 has a wide variety of lighting controls options. There are dimmers, switches and key pads fromC4 as well as options to integrate with 3rd party lighting control. It can integrate with security systems and has 4Sight to access many of available features from the web.

I went to a local store that carries C4 and they put together a small system for 2K....wtf

Can I get some advice as to the components that I would need (and their functions if it's not too much to ask) in order to put together a basic, but expandable system?

I see that fleabay has some great deals on AVM-HTC1-B's. But in all honesty, I have no clue if this controller would even work for what I want it for.

The AVM-HTC1-B is a first generation controller and has been discontinued. A HC-200, HC-300or HC-500 are the current lineup of controllers. Additionally, C4 is a dealer installed product and not DIY. There is not warranty on ebay products. Additionally the software to setup a C4 system is only available to dealers..

I hope i've provided enough info. Thank you for your time and any advice that you'd be willing to give.

Cheers!

Stan

I would recommend that you locate a good dealer in your area to consult with and install your C4 system.

You definately need to get in touch with a dealer like Alan said, that should clear all of your confusion. I would not recommend purchasing products on ebay either, simply for warranty purposes. The only way you can truly get the service you deserve for spending the money you are going to spend is by working with a dealer.

As far as your comment about a $2k system and "wtf", is that your way of being amazed it was that EXPENSIVE or that INEXPENSIVE? I have a feeling that you feel like that is a lot of money for this product. While it is a lot of money, unfortunately it doesn't go really far in this industry. Let me tell you that a large majority of the people on here have $20k+ tied up in their systems, some topping the $100k mark. I would give anything to have only invested $2k. It is a great product, and very cost effective for home automation, but you have to pay to play.

Hopefully that doesn't come across as rude or arrogant, that wasn't my intent at all.

EDIT: Typo...it is too early :-)

LOL.. :lol: .i'm sorry guys. In hindsight after reading my comments it would seem as though my remarks imply that the 2K is expensive.

I thought that I'd be looking at 5K to start so I was quite pleased that they would put me into an entry level system for 2k.

For that 2K it would basically include the 3.5" touch and (i believe) the HC300.

Installation would be extra.

Thank you for the advice regarding ebay. I was actually planning on going that route but your concerns have made me reconsider.

So....some of you have seriously invested 100K into these systems? Wow.

$2k? How much do plan on spending on good quality speakers?

Well, I don't want to be foolish about this and break the bank but I also don't want to cheap out on a pair of $69 radio shack specials.

I'm currently running two pairs of Klipsch ceiling speakers that cost me around $700.

I don't know if I could justify spending too much more UNLESS i'm talking about a surround sound system for my theater.

I'm sure my 2 daughters would enjoy blasting Dora the Explorer throughout the house.

Stan

Although it costs a bit more I would recommend the 7" touchscreen. The screen is bigger and it is newer hardware.

I would like access to some sort of music database. Either on my computer' date=' ipod or a controller with a hard drive. Then I would like to control the distribution of the music to different zones.[/quote']

This can all be done with C4. Any C4 controller can access music on an external USB or network hard drive, iPod or your computer. The HC-500 has a built in hard drive that you can store music on.

C4 has 4 and 8 zone amps to distribute the audio.

No problem here. All C4 controllers have IR ports that you can use to control most IR controllable hardware. As long as you have the proper wiring from your controller to the equipment this will be standard stuff cor C4.

C4 has a wide variety of lighting controls options. There are dimmers, switches and key pads fromC4 as well as options to integrate with 3rd party lighting control. It can integrate with security systems and has 4Sight to access many of available features from the web.

The AVM-HTC1-B is a first generation controller and has been discontinued. A HC-200, HC-300or HC-500 are the current lineup of controllers. Additionally, C4 is a dealer installed product and not DIY. There is not warranty on ebay products. Additionally the software to setup a C4 system is only available to dealers..

Cheers!

Stan

I would recommend that you locate a good dealer in your area to consult with and install your C4 system.

Alan thank you so much for such detailed information!

I appreciate your input very much as it's made me understand their system quite a bit better. I am definately going to go through a dealer now.

My problem is that I feel as though I can do anything and everything myself. I get that from my father who would never hire professionals. He'd do it himself.

Well, I guess there are certain things that should be left to the professionals.

"Additionally the software to setup a C4 system is only available to dealers".

Great to know! (who reads manuals anyways?)

Thanks again Alan

Cheers

Stan

I think you will find the DIY element in Control4 to be very robust and user friendly. You can still do alot on your own, obtaining the gear through a dealer is best, simply to guarantee your purchase. Ebay items are "as is" and for a few grand I don't think most people would take that gamble. After you get setup, let us know how it's going. And feel free to post questions.

Archived