C4 Forums | Control4

Moving Cabinet

When I had my system installed 2 years ago, I was not thinking clearly on the placement of the 2 cabinets containing my entire system. I would like to move them to the basement (about 30 feet away - down one level in the house). Besides the money I will spend doing it (or I might be able to pull it off with detailed tagging of wires and labeling), I will need to splice/lengthen some of the cables. What type of degradation will I get by doing this? (assuming that is the right terminology)

If it is done correctly you shouldn't get any, assuming these are component cables. I don't have a ton of experience with every kind of cable but I have extended component without any quality loss. The same can be done with network cables obviously.

Decided the cabinets in the dining room were being obtrusive? Your install looks sweet, but I do have to admit the location of the cabinets seemed a bit odd to me.

Odd is a good way to describe - doesn't really bother me, but the wife makes comments once in a while (as they say - Happy wife equals happy life (or something like that)) - I think it would be a variety of cables, component, some camera cables (have 8), speaker cables I guess - but a lot of the cables are not affected because they are in the cabinet itself.

May get a case of beer one weekend and start the project. I honestly think I could do it assuming I marked all the cables well (and did some research on-line on the best way to lengthen/splice cables).

AND - if I mess up enough, it is only more money to the dealer :-)

Skip the ptouch, the labels just don't stick that well to wires, they don't like to stay true to the curve of the wiring.

Use some self laminating vinyl labels and they will stick for a long time. The only issue is the sharpie ink might creep inside the label after a few years. But I doubt you'll be messing with them after the initial move.

You can buy them in a dispenser http://rhinopromo.com/Products_101.shtm

or just in sheet form.

Personally, I'd recommend calling your dealer and having one of their guys move the wires. It will take a fraction of the time and if there is an issue, they will be responsible for fixing it. Just helps keep the system "well supported" down the road. I know I don't like to deal with someone else's wiring when there is an issue, it takes longer to troubleshoot and diagnose when someone else has been involved.

Archived