C4 Forums | Control4

Configurable dimmer with LIFX lights

I just installed configurable dimmer to control a room with 3 LIFX lights.  I am going to designate on of the buttons as controlling the load so the lights "stay on" all the time.  With another button, I will use it as programming eventually using LIFX driver to turn the light on/off via LIFX functionality.  My question is since this keypad is technically a dimmer, does this affect the performance of the bulbs assuming the load is always left on by the switch?

When I installed the configurable dimmer today, I am able to turn the LIFX lights on and off, they show connected to the LIFX cloud, but I have lost control of them via the LIFX app and Alexa voice commands.  I wanted to make sure this didn't have anything to with the Control4 hardware.  When I am home later, I will try to reset the bulbs and see if that helps resolve the issue.

I am also wondering if I need to alter the button programming to make sure there is no dimming/ramping of the lights and the lights literally switch immediately versus a gradually dimming or lighting as dimmers do.  What programming change would I have to make in Control4 for ramping up/down to make this a rapid light change?

My suggestions:  in composer, you might need Pro, configure the device to RAMP RATE to zero, or the lowest level it accepts for up and down.  Set the minimum level to 100 percent so the dimmer is either at 100% or 0.  Then, if I was you, I would program a hidden user button in a hidden room that only you have access to for maintence purposes and use that button to turn the switch on/off - this way the switch will always be ON with no buttons to turn on/off accidentally.  I am not sure if the switch can be programmed to the ON position after a power loss or reboot, so you might need to add some programming code to ensure the switch goes back to 100percent on after a power loss or reboot.

As long  you don't disturb the "load" button they seem to work great.  I programmed the top button (2 spaces so you can't miss it) to toggle the LIFX driver so it's controlling the lights.  I'm trying not to mess with the actual load light as it seems to occasionally disconnect from the LIFX cloud if you mess with it likely because of the dimmer aspect.

15 hours ago, c4toys said:

I bought a set of these and they where DOA from amazon

The LIFX lights?  They are the best controllable LED lights I've seen.  Very quick response, accurate colors.... I had the Hue but ditched them for LIFX.  You may want to make sure you installed them correctly, they aren't on a dimmer, or exchange them.

Archived