C4 Forums | Control4

A/V matrix switch

MSI

For the people and dealers that are using AV matrix switches.

What happens when someone is watching TV upstairs and then someone in the basement uses the same source ?

Does anyone have a way to pop up a message on the second tv that says "This source is currently in use. Select another source"

That's the beauty of a matrix switch. There are things you can do to avoid this that are neat and quite easy to implement. I can elaborate if you would like.

Actually, I don't see why you couldn't set it up to do what you described. It would take a lot of programming, but theoretically it's possible I guess.

Please elaborate ....

I think I would like the ability to watch the same source on multiple TVs. However, I don't think the users would be pleased if someone at one tv changes the channel while someone is already watching tv in another location. I was thinking if we created a popup message then the second user could switch to an unused source.

Well, it can be something as subtle as changing the color of the LED on a dimmer to reflect a video source being used in another room. IE: If the HD DVR 1 is being watched in the master bedroom, the LED on the dimmer in the living room will turn green.

What would be really cool (I think I will do this tonight after thinking of it) is set a button on the SR250 to tell you what is being used throughout the house. IE: Press the red button on the SR250 and it will announce "The HD DVR number 1 is currently being used in the master bedroom. The DVD Changer is currently being used in Owen's bedroom." I am going to do this tonight. I am going to use an older male voice with an english accent. My kids will love this.

ILoveC4

This is a great idea, I cant count the times my wife has yelled accross the house when I change the channel in the livingroom when she is watching her shows in the bedroom. I have composerHE but I am new to programming, where would you start. The room? the Swithcer, the source? Any help would be great.

Todd

First, you need to create an announcement for each source and each room. I would use the AT&T text to speech beta.

Then, you need to pick what button you'll use. You need to tell each room when that command is received if xxx source is being used in xxx room, play xxx announcement. Repeat for every scenario.

If you need help shoot me an email. I'm doing this at my house later today. It will be something fun and new.

following you...... Can you keep us posted on your progess.

I think I will try something similar, except using the on screen alert. When the custom button on the remote control is pressed, I will pop up an alert on the screen, in the current room, that shows the all the video sources in use.

I did it this weekend. My wife rolled her eyes during the "unveiling", but she was quick to show it off to her sisters when they were over on Sunday. It blew everyones mind. They can't believe the house "talks to you".

The only way I would do those announcements is if I could get it to sound just like HAL 9000 :)

*Press button to view satellite in Master Bedroom*

"I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that. Your wife is already watching the satellite."

The only way I would do those announcements is if I could get it to sound just like HAL 9000 :)

*Press button to view satellite in Master Bedroom*

"I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that. Your wife is already watching the satellite."

Now that would be awesome! :lol:

You create a bunch of embedded "if" statements.

You can shoot me an email if you need to. As I posted earlier, this is very involved and isn't as easy as just "posting the code".

If you are fairly new to programming this may be one of those that you pay someone to do, and let them teach you as they do it. It wouldn't cost a ton of money (most dealers charge ~$75 per hour for remote programming I think) and would save you a ton of time. I did it in less than an hour, and I am sure there are people on here that are faster than me.

You create a grundle if embedded "if" statements.

You can shoot me an email if you need to. As I posted earlier, this is very involved and isn't as easy as just "posting the code".

If you are fairly new to programming this may be one of those that you pay someone to do, and let them teach you as they do it. It wouldn't cost a ton of money (most dealers charge ~$75 per hour for remote programming I think) and would save you a ton of time. I did it in less than an hour, and I am sure there are people on here that are faster than me.

As long as you dont make me work on a Mac using Parallels. Not having a two button mouse is BS, I struggled with that all weekend :lol:

Archived