C4 Forums | Control4

HP Media Center?

winestem

Ah, Windows home server is a little bit different. I believe with those you need to have some kind of endpoint (like an Xbox 360 or linksys device) that you can playback your movies with.

Depends on your ultimate goal, but I'd choose the much easier and proven Sony 777ES. In fact I might pick one up from one of the folks liquidating theirs after they buy a 9150.

Exactly.

I don't know how immediate your need is, but with the release of the 9150 a couple weeks back I think you will see people migrating to purely digital media and selling the changers. There will probably be quite a few that will surface in the next couple of months. I know mine will be for sale once I get my NAS setup and all my discs backed up.

Sorry to sound uninformed - but I have not had time to research this. If I rip all my DVD's to network storage - can I install multiple EVA's so we can watch more than one DVD in the house at a time? Right now - all 400 dvd's are stored together - but who wants to watch the same movie together? :)

Sorry to sound uninformed - but I have not had time to research this. If I rip all my DVD's to network storage - can I install multiple EVA's so we can watch more than one DVD in the house at a time? Right now - all 400 dvd's are stored together - but who wants to watch the same movie together? :)

Yes, you can. This is precisely the reason why I am migrating over to the 9150's over the DVD changer. The DVD changer jas been great, but it does have some draw backs...this being one of them

I thought Windows Home server acted basically like a NAS.. no Xbox or MC extender needed, just something that can stream the files and output to tv?

I guess you could, if that's the os that's running on the pc as opposed to WMC. You know I had that OS as a beta but never installed it. Was supposed to have some nifty backup stuff.

I thought Windows Home server acted basically like a NAS.. no Xbox or MC extender needed' date=' just something that can stream the files and output to tv?[/quote']

I guess you could, if that's the os that's running on the pc as opposed to WMC. You know I had that OS as a beta but never installed it. Was supposed to have some nifty backup stuff.

Windows Home Server (WHS) does work like a NAS in some aspects, but you still need a device to convert the video files to play on your TV (i.e. no HDMI or component out from the WHS). I use my WHS to store my MP3s and video files, and to do backups on all my home PCs. Control4 can pull the MP3s directly from the WHS, and I'm currently using my XBox 360 as a video endpoint. The PC backup is what I find to be the killer feature. There's a WHS connector that installs on each PC, then nightly backups are automated to the WHS.

Rob

Archived