C4 Forums | Control4

programing text messages to cell phone

lowvo

All you really need is the right equipment. The monitoring can be remote from anywhere.

In other words, we can monitor your system and give you what you you're looking for as long as the system is set up properly.

I'm sure there are local companies to you that can do the same, you'll just have to find them.

Edit: ADT is not one of them... where are you located anyway?

Just email your phones carrier with your number and it comes through like a text. Example: 801-815-5555@verizonwireless.net.

You need to google your carrier to see the proper email address but every carrier supports this. I used to email text messages to people from my desk all the time until mobil email became more prevalent.

D

The issue with emailing through 4Sight is that it's not guaranteed, so if Control4's servers are hammered, it could take longer than you want to send the email out through Control4's email agent.

It should happen fairly quickly, but for something like paging you that you have a breakin, you may want a more alarm-centric solution, which would guarantee that the text gets sent immediately.

RyanE

Wow did not know that was possible ILoveC4, interesting.

As for timing, we've tested with the Concord and using both Verizon and AT&T it's about 5-10 seconds from alarm trip to text... not bad imo.

Yeah, it is a great way to send sms from a computer.

You can use a free service caleed teleflip as well. Just send an email to 8015555555@teleflip.com and the phone nuber preceding the "@teleflip.com" gets the text. Just make sure you don't have an email signature. Also, with this being a free service who knows how long it will last or if it is even still around...I haven't used it for a while.

AT&T @mobile.att.net

Boost Mobile @myboostmobile.com

Cingular @mobile.mycingular.com

Helio @myhelio.com

Nextel @messaging.nextel.com

Qwest @qwestmp.com

Sprint @messaging.sprintpcs.com

T-Mobile @tmomail.net

Tracfone @cingularme.com

Verizon @vtext.com

Virgin Mobile @vmobl.com

Just put your number before the @ in place of the email address in the "email alerts".

AT&T @mobile.att.net

Boost Mobile @myboostmobile.com

Cingular @mobile.mycingular.com

Helio @myhelio.com

Nextel @messaging.nextel.com

Qwest @qwestmp.com

Sprint @messaging.sprintpcs.com

T-Mobile @tmomail.net

Tracfone @cingularme.com

Verizon @vtext.com

Virgin Mobile @vmobl.com

Just put your number before the @ in place of the email address in the "email alerts".

Thanks Neil. I was going to find that later. You just saved me 5 minutes or so.

I've been using myphonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com for more than a year with C4 and get alerts of a whole range of events around the house. Works like a charm, and it's so fast that when I press the button in my car to open the garage door, my phone buzzes indicating a text message usually before I even start to drive into the garage. It's literally within 2 or 3 seconds most of the time.

Archived