C4 Forums | Control4

Dimmers - 120v vs 240v

I picked up some dimmers from a dealer who was going out of business recently. Once opened, I noticed that they have a "240V" sticker on the side. Will these work in a 110/120v environment? I assume they will, as all the documentation refers to 120v, but have never seen 240V's sold before (and assume 120V switches *would not* work in a 240V env) . Thoughts?

I picked up some dimmers from a dealer who was going out of business recently. Once opened, I noticed that they have a "240V" sticker on the side. Will these work in a 110/120v environment? I assume they will, as all the documentation refers to 120v, but have never seen 240V's sold before (and assume 120V switches *would not* work in a 240V env) . Thoughts?

The real question is, what is the model # on the dimmer.

I would assume that the dealer who sold them to you should know if they're 120V switches, or if they're only for 240V. That's one of the benefits of *having* a dealer, he's (or she's) going to sell you the right equipment.

RyanE

I know they are 240V switches, the question is if they could be installed in a 120V environment. Most electrical equipment, appliances, panels, etc are dual voltage, and generally you can't go higher than the rated voltage, but going lower is no issue. Wondering if C4 dimmers are the same...anyone?

Hi

I know this isnt the 'for Sale' section or anything, but I live in the UK and we use the 240v dimmers here. If your looking to get rid of them then PM me and with a price and quantity as I need quite a few more to finish my house .

I don't know what an LDZ-101-X is.

LDZ-101-W (White)

LDZ-101-B (Black)

LDZ-101-A (Almond)

Are the first-generation US models.

Maybe someone is just referring to one of the LDZ-101-(something) dimmers. If so, it's likely OK.

The current model is the LDZ-102-W/B/A.

RyanE

I don't know what an LDZ-101-X is.

LDZ-101-W (White)

LDZ-101-B (Black)

LDZ-101-A (Almond)

Are the first-generation US models.

Maybe someone is just referring to one of the LDZ-101-(something) dimmers. If so, it's likely OK.

The current model is the LDZ-102-W/B/A.

RyanE

whats the diffrence between the 101 and the 102?

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know if the 240v dimmers will work?

There are a bunch on ebay right now that are brand new, so I thought I would ask.

240v dimmers can be powered from as low as 36v. However the 240v dimmer is only certified in certain countries. It may not be legal for you to have it installed wherever you are.

:D

2-Button Keypad will have the following "Stickers" or "Markings" on it:

(1) Marker on the rear of the housing: "LSZ-3W1-x" ( the x reprsents the color code of the faceplate)

(1) Sticker on the side/bottom of the housing: "LSZ-3W1-240-W" (W represents white faceplate)

The aluminum mounting frame will still have the following engraved information on the front: 120vac 60/50hz 1.8W

But then a DEALER or CONTROL4 rep would have already known that right? So why is it necessary to run 20 posts to get to this simple answer. Sounds more like diversion.

As for compatability, each of the lower 48 states have electrical codes for residential applications, therefore you will need to simply call an electrician in your area and ask if they know the switching code regulations for your state. No that was easy enough.

And last but not least, 240vac systems are a breed of their own. But in may instances, a device will power up on 120v, and will fully funcion at 240v. Your electric stove for instance will work on 120v. At least the lights and timers will. But it will not get "HOT" unless you get it up to 240v. So to answer the question, you will have to put a dimmer on the line to find out. I have (2) of these right now, and I am in the process of returning them to the seller. But if that fails do happen, I will test the 120v question myself and let you know what the results are. If you have a wiring diagram to assist in this test, please e-mail to me for use. It will be of benefit to those who are legally able to use this device in ther residence...Ebay just had several go unpurchased at $20 each! Send me one if you have one to throw into the test if you want. I will be pending with mine for several days right now.

So, if that answers all of your questions, I will now move on to "assisting" others......

I now have the answer to the question.

NO.

120v will not even power the unit on. Been there...done that...

Pulling a 240v out of the breaker panel is too much of a hastle and you are better off ditching these 240v units and moving on.

Besides, the price of copper wire will negate any unrealized savings you might have expected by snatching these "jems" off of Ebay. I have (2) that will be paperweights till someone in a land far-far away calls wanting them.

This is true, but a foot of copper is a foot of copper. Why rewire 50 foot of copper when 50 foot of copper is already there?

Here in my state, almost all appliances that are 240v are now a 4-conductor. (2)hot(1)Neutral(1)Ground. But I doubt this Control4 device will require the 4 conductors due to the fact that it only has (3) wires on it.

Last time I remember getting a small roll of 14/3 electrical romex at the Home Depot, it seems like about $1 a foot was the going rate.

Maybe you thought that I would re-terminate that circuit to a 240v breaker.....this would work but will need to be on a circuit all by itself. Most likely it is not. Ad of course the wire colors will not match what an electrician would like to see if repairs to the home were ever needed. So hillbilly as it may seem, sometimes be creative is creative all right....it creates more work than it is worth!

Thanks for the post RyanE...always good to hear from ya.

Archived