C4 Forums | Control4

Benefits of garage door automation?

I have been planning to add my garage doors (3) to the C4 project. My dealer has made the proposal and is ready to go once I give him the go ahead.

Presently we have announcements when a garage door is left open and we simply walk down to that level of the house and push the button to close it. If it was added to the C4 project then I could close it from anywhere in the house. I see that as the one "benefit" of adding it to my project. But, let's face it. It's pretty minor.

What are some benefits that I'm not thinking of?

Well, I guess theoretically if you needed to give someone access to your house or if your wife was locked out or something then you could open it remotely, but you probably have an outside keypad for that.

You could also have announcements when people arrive or open the door.

Maybe put a doggy door in the garage entry so it isnt accessible to bugs etc outside and train the dogs to use that and open the garage door for them.

Im stretching... need to justify why I spent a few hundred doing that myself

I have a six button keypad located in my garage entry/mud room. One of the buttons on the six button controls and monitors the status of the garage door. Red = door is closed, Green means it is opened. I can see the LEDs from my living room. Pressing the button on the keypad opens or closes the garage door.

I also have lights turned on when the garage door opens. If it is past sunset and the garage door opens I turn on the mud room lights and a few other lights in the house.

Some other features are closing the door at a set time if your forget.

Sending an email or page when the door opens or closes.

I already send an email (text message actually) when the garage has been left open for too much time (suspecting that it went back up from the electric eye safety, etc.). Along with the text is an announcement in the house at the same time. My dealer was very creative and made this happen after 8 minutes, then every minute after that until the door was closed. He also gave me custom buttons to turn the annoucements and text messages off in case we actually wanted the garage to be open.

I am beginning to think that having the ability to close a garage door from a remote location (either in the house or away from the house) is a bit overkill and unnecessary (although kind of cool, admittedly!).

I have a big C4 project and I love the audio/video/lighting/temperature/alarm/IP camera aspects but this might be where I draw the line.

Nothing mentioned so far has convinced me. (in some ways I'm hoping someone will post a reason that sells me on it!) ;-)

The lights could be useful... something like turn on the garage/driveway flood light when the door opens and turn it off 2-3 minutes after it closes.

Regarding the lights turning on inside when you open the garage, does that mean they turn on even when you are leaving? Then do you have a set time for them to turn off afterwards?

Mine automate the lights in the garage and certain lights in the house based on different variables. Leaving the garage door open in my house has always been a problem, so it closes automatically after being open for five minutes. If you want it open longer (like say I am doing yard work or something) I just hold down either the on or off button on the switch or two button in the garage and it will leave the garage open, and change the LED to red indicating the garage won't automatically close. Every night it checks the doors and closes them a couple of times. I also use it to open the garage from remote parts of the house for various reasons if guests come over or something.

I actually really like this functionality.

I will do this soon but use the one set of relay connections afforded to me on the HC-300. No need for a dealer on this one. I don't know why I didn't do this from the start but it is a good feature as I see it (well I really can't see straight at the moment but that's another story).

My alarm has a kit that enables me to control the garage door and one other relay through the alarm's keyfob, so as soon as I get the ICM I should be able to trigger those two relays through c4. It's already there, why not? :)

Archived