C4 Forums | Control4

Installing Speaker Wire

I'm Wiring A New Home And Want To Be C4 Ready If Its In The Budget. What Gauge Speaker Wire Should I Run? What Other Wires Would Be Adventagious At This Time As Well? I'de Rather Run Wires Know That I Dont Use Later Than Wish I Did And It Not Be Available Later. Thanks

You can never have enough wire.

It is also a good idea to run conduit to key locations. Some key locations are from your equipment closet to the attic and to TV locations.Maybe not all TV locations but the main TV locations.

I usually run2 or 3 Cat-5 and an RG-6to every TV and remote DVD location back to the home run equipment closet.

It's also helpful to run 'keypad wire', which is typically CAT5 at eye level near the doorway of each room.

You can leave it coiled in the stud cavity, so you don't need to have a box opening in the wall.

Some people like to loop the speaker wire through this area, in case they wanted to do manual volume controls, although that's less common these days. I looped my speaker wire behind a low-voltage mud ring in each room that has speakers, so I could go with the option of installing lugs for floor speakers instead of in-wall speakers. That is, it came from the 'head end' in the basement, looped behind the mud ring, then continued up the wall to the intended in-wall location.

RyanE

If you don't have a defined plan and and exact equipment list i would run "big" conduit to any location you may want to place equipment. This would include tv locations etc. As for speaker wire, we recommend 14awg for runs under 150' to standard inwall speakers. You will want better wire for high power floor speakers.

I'm Understanding Run 14 Gauge Speaker To All Zones, 1 Cat6 Eye Level To All Mini Touch Screens, 3 Cat6 And 1 Rg6 To All Tv's,and Would Like To Wire For Cameras For Future. I've Heard 2 Cat6 To Every Camera Location. About How Much Do These Cameras Cost Each? Any Other Wires I Should Consider? Thanking You Guys For All Your Help !

Wondering why you capitalize every word?

Cams can run anywhere between a few hundred to a few thousand dollars, depending on what you want. Since you're not sure what you will end up with, I'd pull an RG6 as well.

Didn't realize I used caps , Thats why I don't like to type. Anyway, you suggest 2 cat6 and 1 rg6. What website can I find a compatable camera? I assume I can run as many as I can afford. Wired must be cheaper than wireless. Thanks

Wired will be cheaper than wireless, but you need to decide if you will do wired IP or wired CCtv. Wired CCTV will be really cheaper, but then you will need a IP server. I sell several different brands but you should talk to your dealer as at some point it becomes cheaper to go with IP over CCTV.

Every brand will have different price points, so me quoting you what I would do will not be useful unless your dealer sells the smae products.

Brent

Archived