C4 Forums | Control4

New C4 system have some questions/issues

Hi Gang,

Just got my C4 system going, still being optimized by installer, not there yet! I have a few question/ issues and would appreciate any input as follows:

1. Is it normal to have to enter the C4 key on the remote more than once for the interface to display when TV is off? I get a black screen on my first entry, needing to press the C4 button again to get the interface. I am told that this is related to a bug when the screen saver is activated and using the interface through a video switch (I have 3 controllers for 6 displays). Just want to check that this is the way it works!

2. I am a bit surprised that when a "Listen" source is selected, if a "Watch" option is active the video does not turn off. I suspect that they are a few workarounds for this besides turning the room off and then choosing a "Listen" option. Suggestions?

3. Is there a minimal optimal bandwidth, for example to play a single Rhapsody stream so that it does not skip, starts & stops, etc. (assuming the Controller is not being taxed otherwise).

4. Is a network less reliable by having several network switches daisy chained (2-3) together or is it better (more solid) to have a single switch with an adequate number of ports (given all devices have staticIP's and everything else is the same).

Any comments very much appreciated. Still learning...

Rori

1. Have your dealer program – in programming when the 4 button is pressed to send the 4 button command multiple times. {mine works on one, but I don’t know your setup}

*work around*

2. It’s a win/lose situation – sometimes you want to have the display on when listening to a “music” source. You’re correct; you could have it shut the display off via programming. Mine I like to watch football {so leaving the tv on benefits me while listening to music}

3. 1.4MBPS is the recommended

4. A cleaner system – yes I recommend against “daisy” chaining. Get a solid router – solid switch. I am currently running a 48port all POE adtran switch – works like a charm. another reason why you don’t want to “daisy” chain is if that first switch dies on you, then so do the others, another thing to think about.

1) No. One press of the 4 button should turn everything on and switch to the input to display the Navigator. The only issue I've seen has been with the photo screen saver as already mentioned.

2) Program the red button on the remote in that room to toggle the display's power.

3) Rhapsody needs a 1.5MB internet connection. I use it successfully (though slowly it buffers) on a 1.5MB satellite internet connection at the Ranch.

4) As Matt said, solid router, solid switch. We use the Linksys WRVS400N as the router, dedicated Linksys access points for wifi, and 48 port Gig-e switches with or without PoE.

Archived