C4 Forums | Control4

Misc - Nest & Ring - Voice Activation Choices - 3rd Party Touchpads

Time2Jet

I’m wondering what your opinions are regarding the horizons for further or better Nest or Ring Integration. I remember reading somewhere that the Nest/C4 integration may improve as a result of the Google Assistant integration. You hear so much chatter sometimes that you don’t know what to believe.

I’m in the market for an inexpensive integratabtle wireless security system and want to hold off if Nest or Ring integration may be improved. I already have a Nest TStat and Nest Hello doorbell, but both are very limited in terms of what they can do. I have a nice Ecobee TStat and 3 sensors sitting (got them from Mitch@msgreenf on sale a few weeks back!) but have been tentatively holding off pending some further Nest news. I know the Ecobee is the best TStat solution right now, but would like to salvage the Nest I currently have on the system pending any news.

On a side note, I also have a house full of Alexa. Before I add a bunch of additional Dots for further coverage (including the new car solution) what’s your opinion of Alexa vs Google? I know some of you are big Google fans, but I’m curious what the objective answer is.

Lastly, I’m curious about Amazon (Fire/Kindle), iPad and other touchpad solutions for wall mounting? I have access to any model of either, but don’t want to move backwards. It just seems that they can do so much more outside of C4 vs C4 Touchpads and in my case, they’ll be almost free. I’ve read some horror stories about iPads swelling, etc.

Sorry so much. Thanks in advance all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, time2jet said:

I’m wondering what your opinions are regarding the horizons for further or better Nest or Ring Integration. I remember reading somewhere that the Nest/C4 integration may improve as a result of the Google Assistant integration. You hear so much chatter sometimes that you don’t know what to believe.

I’m in the market for an inexpensive integratabtle wireless security system and want to hold off if Nest or Ring integration may be improved. I already have a Nest TStat and Nest Hello doorbell, but both are very limited in terms of what they can do. I have a nice Ecobee TStat and 3 sensors sitting (got them from Mitch@msgreenf on sale a few weeks back!) but have been tentatively holding off pending some further Nest news. I know the Ecobee is the best TStat solution right now, but would like to salvage the Nest I currently have on the system pending any news.

On a side note, I also have a house full of Alexa. Before I add a bunch of additional Dots for further coverage (including the new car solution) what’s your opinion of Alexa vs Google? I know some of you are big Google fans, but I’m curious what the objective answer is.

Lastly, I’m curious about Amazon (Fire/Kindle), iPad and other touchpad solutions for wall mounting? I have access to any model of either, but don’t want to move backwards. It just seems that they can do so much more outside of C4 vs C4 Touchpads and in my case, they’ll be almost free. I’ve read some horror stories about iPads swelling, etc.

Sorry so much. Thanks in advance all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normal tablets aren’t meant to be hooked up to power 24/7.  Plenty of online reports showing them exploding because of battery swell.  It’s not always happening but something that could happen.   It’s always usually not always “on” so you need to wake, pick c4 app, load etc.  slow experience.  Lastly cannot load the intercom functions on tablets.   Only c4 touchscreens. 

i use Alexa in the house and works for me

re security I wouldn’t use anything cloud based that makes me pay to view my recordings.  Most of those nest products tie you into fees.   And their specs are very limited re FOV and other important factors.   Pick the camera that works best for the situation to get the best coverage, period.  Then get an agnostic NVR like blue iris or security spy.  There are no 1 size fits all security camera solutions.  I use 4 different vendors for cameras at my house because each filled a need better than the others.  If you want wireless security like an alarm system get DSC and wireless sensors or ELK and wireless sensors.  Some is DIY and some is dealer required but I think elk and DSC are mostly diy friendly and have wireless sensors and work in c4.  My dealer set up DSC but gave me his code so now it’s 100% diy to me.  I see dsc sold online so I have to figure an end user can configure

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.