C4 Forums | Control4

Programming an announcement at a certain time

control4user007

You must have a contact on that door, but after that it is simple.

When the "door" opens

If it is between 12:00AM and 7:00AM

Execute announcement "The door is open"

This is assuming you have setup the announcement, and already told it what rooms to play in.

I was just thinking about it and figured I could be a little more descriptive.

Under the programming tab, select the contact/door you're wanting to monitor. Below the area where you selected that door you should be able to select when it opens or when it closes. Select when it opens.

Then on the right side, scroll all the way down until you see scheduler. Under scheduler select conditional, the set the times and drag the programming line to the middle of the screen.

Then (on the right hand side) select announcements, and select your announcement for that door and nest it (indented) under the if statement you just created.

Done.

If you need more help, just ask. I had the same questions when I was getting started, so I understand it can be confusing.

Sounds like a teenager control question! I am going to install the contacts and then when they leave through the garage at night my end table lamp comes on! Saves us from wandering the halls at night checking up on them!

How would i program an announcement to be triggered by a door opening during certain hours? Basically I want to make an announcement play over the speakers when a door in the room is opened at night, say between 12 am and 7 am.

any ideas?

thanks for any help in advance

Which door? You didn't say and if front door, why no security system? Just buy one of those CA wireless motions being sold here and you are in on any door.

Its much more cost effective to go with a basic wireless security system like the GE Concord 4 if you have multiple doors you want monitored and are comfortable programming and installing it yourself (very easy to do, installation and programming manuals are available on the net, or I can email them to you).

Card access sensor: $140 (maximum of 2 doors, and you'd have wires running to the door contacts.

GE Concord 4 panel, touchpad, wired motion sensor, 2 wired contacts, siren, battery backup: $235

Wireless contacts: $42

Recessed wireless door contacts: $46

Wireless motion detector: $75

Wireless glass break: $92

Its much more cost effective to go with a basic wireless security system like the GE Concord 4 if you have multiple doors you want monitored and are comfortable programming and installing it yourself (very easy to do, installation and programming manuals are available on the net, or I can email them to you).

Card access sensor: $140 (maximum of 2 doors, and you'd have wires running to the door contacts.

GE Concord 4 panel, touchpad, wired motion sensor, 2 wired contacts, siren, battery backup: $235

akg4y, where did you find these items at this price? I have shopped for the GE Concord 4 before, but it has always confused me because they have so many different packages available. My dealer wants an arm and a leg for one, and won't give me a break down on the components I need, probably because he knows I can buy it much cheaper elsewhere.

One CA wireless PIR/LUX sensor for $149 list will get him detection at the door in question and the ability to bring it into the project for programming with a schedule.

I agree with ILoveC4 ... I always get quoted a heck of a lot more for the GE Concord 4 ... closer to $1000 or more. Although I'm sure you can find components online for cheap if you can figure out how to install, etc. After really learning about my DSC system, it wouldn't be so hard to install ...

Speaking of announcements ... does anyone have a good source for pre-recorded announcements? I'm not sure I want to hear my voice all the time!

WOW! thanks everyone for the help. i knew i could count on this forum to answer my questions. I already have a contact sensor on the door to tell control4 when it is open. i was just confused how to set the times it would play the announcement. i tried using a timer that would start based the a schedule, but it would always get screwed up so instead of playing the announcement at night, it would play it during the day.

i will try this tonight and let you know how it goes.

thanks again.

Don't you also need the module that allows it to interface with C4 as well?

yes. I have an ICM module that allows the HC-500 to talk to the security panel. You could also use an RS232 module, but i never had any luck with that.

I also wanted to thank everyone for their help. The announcement plays at night now consistently, whereas before after a few days it could start to playing during the day.

It is so nice to be able to have a group of people who are so knowledgeable about this stuff. I will most definitely be back with more questions. THANK YOU!

Hey sorry Ive been off of the forums for a few weeks. I found those prices at www.home-technology-store.com

That is where I ordered my system, and although I paid some guy $900 to install the whole system (40 wireless window contacts, 9 glass breaks, rs-232 module, 2 expansion boards, 5 wired door contacts, 4 smoke detectors, 2 motions, etc) I think it was a rip off and should have done it myself now that I see how easy it is. I got scared off by all the internet posts about 'how hard the GE concord 4' is to program, which is BS.

http://www.home-technology-store.com/home-security/GE-CONCORD-NA1-KIT.aspx

The only caveat with that site is they only offer the 7 year wireless contacts versus the longlife ones which are 10-15 year (but are also much larger). They will however even program the panel for you for $60 if you know what you are doing, which is *definitely* worth it if you have a lot of stuff... if you only have a few contacts etc maybe not.

Archived