C4 Forums | Control4

cat6 with 3.5 touchscreen

does anyone know why my cat6 will not work with the 3.5 touchsreens? I have tested and the cable is terminated correctly. The only thing I can think of is the cat6 end is a bit larger than the cat5 and it only will make a connection on 7& 8 enough for power but not to communicate with the controller. Has anyone had experience with this and now that my walls are closed up i will have a tough time getting this one rerun. I have a cathedral cieling and the location where it is at is not an easy fish.

thanks for any help on this. I also connected each pair to one another and used a continuity tester and again it says all good.

does anyone know why my cat6 will not work with the 3.5 touchsreens? I have tested and the cable is terminated correctly. The only thing I can think of is the cat6 end is a bit larger than the cat5 and it only will make a connection on 7& 8 enough for power but not to communicate with the controller. Has anyone had experience with this and now that my walls are closed up i will have a tough time getting this one rerun. I have a cathedral cieling and the location where it is at is not an easy fish.

thanks for any help on this. I also connected each pair to one another and used a continuity tester and again it says all good.

Regardless of cable type (CAT5, 5e, 6), the endpoint is always an RJ45 jack, you need to ensure that you're terminating it correctly. How far does the MTS go? Does it power up and complain there's no network connection?

Since you're saying all your pairs are (I'd triple-check that), try this, on the switch side, plug your CAT6 into a regular (non-PoE) switch port and on the MTS side, plug your laptop into the RJ45 plug, do you get a link?

Also, did you terminate these ends yourself?

Did you use the right RJ-45 ends? There are some made for solid cable, others for stranded, and if you use one on the other, you can have issues such as this.

Have you checked with a different PoE adapter / PoE router?

RyanE

he says they tested ok with a lan tester -- so they may be terminated somewhat ok , assuming that, they may not be seated into the jack enough.... OR the crimper did a bad job and the contacts are at an angle (but still test ok with some testers) .... seen both of these happen... for the first, a file can fix, for the second, re terminate

Any idea on the brand/model of the cable and connector?

I've seen Ideal Cat5 connectors cause shorts and have had issues with cheap cat6 not mating well with IDC Crimp connections.

Make sure you are using cat6 connectors with cat6 cable, there is a difference in the internal tolerences between the 2 types.

Was the cable "certified" or tested?

Most testers only check continuity, not the ability to pass data correctly.

Archived