C4 Forums | Control4

Plasma to OLED or QLED? And best drivers for C4?

jfh

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

Don't you mean HDMI 2.1?  I thought 2.2 is the current version of HDCP.  And what is the reason for this - what sources do you envision that will be needing HDMI 2.1 that your TV will be able to handle?  4K120?  

Yes, typo.  HDMI 2.1.  It’s more about future proofing for 8-10 years.  I don’t want to get 4-5 years in and say damn, I have to get a new set.  I’m unlikely to have a video stream that isn’t mainstream so maybe 2.1 is overkill for the foreseeable future or I’m falling for FOMO on the latest and greatest.  I’m actually far more interested in the prospect of 4K OTA broadcasts so i am more interested in ATSC 3.0 tuners but since they are newer I suspect most sets with ATSC 3.0 will come with HDMI 2.1 anyway.

1 minute ago, zaphod said:

But 4-5 years down the road we will be moving to 8K or 10K so your set will be obsolete.

I don’t see 8k/10k being mainstream in 4-5 years.  There are still very few 4K sources and how old is 4K?  I would look at an 8k set now but too much of an early adopter tax

Agreed that 8K or 10K won't be mainstream but I doubt you are mainstream.  I'm not.  Those of that are HA enthusiasts are usually early adopters and live on the bleeding edge.

Getting back to the HDMI issue - isn't the main benefit of HDMI 2.1 the ability to carry more bandwidth from higher resolutions, like 8K?  My understanding of HDMI 2.0 is that at 8K you are limited to 30p, but with HDMI 2.1 you can get to 60p and beyond.  But that doesn't matter if you have a 4K TV.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.