C4 Forums | Control4

Web navigator

I don't have an 4sight account.

Is it possible to use Web navigator from your home LAN..and in effect control your C4 system from within the LAN...

I guess what I am asking is after you login into your 4sight account..and fire up your browser..is there a way of permanently staying logged on...so you can web-browse your LOCAL C4 control from anywhere on your "LOCAL" LAN...

I know this might sound weird (kinda like calling yourself on your own mobile in your own house from one of the fixed phones), but I'm desperate for a practical web-based controller solution...:)

No,

The 4Sight solution uses a server @ C4 to provide a web interface that is totally different than a regular navigator session.

You can login to 4sight from home and control the house, but it still requires 4sight and a web connection to c4's servers.

Are you just trying to get around buying a touchscreen?

You could always look at CytexOne's slingbox solution or use an itouch or minitouch.

Maybe this is something we will see after 2.0 since it would be much easier to abstract a flash session on a PC than the current navigator sessions, but that has not been mentioned at all by C4.

You certainly can use 4Sight from within your home, but it's still going to Control4's servers and back to your controller, and it still does not control A/V gear, just lighting, thermostats, security, and Contacts/Relays.

RyanE

No,

The 4Sight solution uses a server @ C4 to provide a web interface that is totally different than a regular navigator session.

You can login to 4sight from home and control the house, but it still requires 4sight and a web connection to c4's servers.

Are you just trying to get around buying a touchscreen?

You could always look at CytexOne's slingbox solution or use an itouch or minitouch.

Maybe this is something we will see after 2.0 since it would be much easier to abstract a flash session on a PC than the current navigator sessions, but that has not been mentioned at all by C4.

Thanks for the clarification. Yeh I'm looking at the slingbox right now...and no I'm not trying to get around buying a touchscreen. Far from it. Just put all my "control" onto the one interface, that's all. Correct me if I am wrong, but a C4 touchscreen doesn't run a version of Sonos software controller, or a web controller/browsing IP solution (which I would need to run my Sonos)

You see with Sonos I'm spoilt. Once you have seen a multiroom system with BOTH a handheld controller AND a computer based software controller, there is no going back. It's purely brilliant. At my place I have 3 Sonos hand held controllers and 4 computers with software controllers. And I use them ALL. I keep saying to C4 on this forum....and appols for boring everyone to tears, :rolleyes: (And sure I really don't expect anybody to be listening), but you can't have too many controllers!!! Software and handheld controllers are synergistic NOT antagonistic.

So thanks everyone for your help. I'll shut it now and hope hope hope, that one day I'll wake up and someone at C4 will have the wisdom to change there mind on this one. Or better still develop a 2 way Sonos driver. And for those out there who think there is no need...how does 21,628 (current Sonos forum members) and hopefully soon to be future C4 customers!... sound as decent demand for such integration?

I have Sonos too, and I really enjoy the pandora integration.

If you want it both sonos and c4 on the same touchscreen why not use the iTouch/iPhone apps?

The Sonos iPhone app is better than the regular sonos controller, and you could add control UI too.

The main limitation of Sonos is it's lack of external control integration. I hammer on them about it everytime we talk. It is a nice standalone system, but they need to learn to play well with others.

You got it! :D

But there is not much a little old customer like me can do other than continually pester them and point it out on their forums!

I'm shoutin' from the hilltops but nobody seems to be listening. to quote an old saying..."You can lead a horse to water, but can't make it drink.."

Archived