C4 Forums | Control4

FireTV Edition and IRUSB

Does anyone know if IRUSB works with FireTV Edition TVs?  I picked up two TVs on the cheap to build digital movie posters but they are FireTV Edition TVs. Trying to figure out how I can turn them on and off. I’m putting them in locations I can’t get IR or Ethernet to, 

I actually don’t even know of IRUSB has Power functions. 

not sure on the IRUSB but you might want to check out this instead FLIRC amazon link.  I use this with an amazon firestick, and it is much cheaper than IRUSB...  ALso with amazon you could easily return this if it doesnt work.  Here is a link to the original thread I started on the FLIRC and there is drivers in that thread you can download and use. https://www.c4forums.com/topic/35261-flirc-ir-firestick-driver-for-control4/?tab=comments#comment-278427

Edit: I just checked amazon and based on one review someone does mention using this on the Firetv by just plugging it into the USB slot on the TV. 

@videostorm told me an IRUSB in a TV's USB port would work.  that said in my case I am using Netplay as a full system, so the Netplay app would wake up the TV and I was told the IRUSB in the USB of the TV could control the TV's audio levels, input changing, etc.  I think it would do on/off but I cannot say 100% sure it would do that.

IRUSB support told me they don't support on o

On 9/29/2020 at 2:07 PM, azkid said:

not sure on the IRUSB but you might want to check out this instead FLIRC amazon link.  I use this with an amazon firestick, and it is much cheaper than IRUSB...  ALso with amazon you could easily return this if it doesnt work.  Here is a link to the original thread I started on the FLIRC and there is drivers in that thread you can download and use. https://www.c4forums.com/topic/35261-flirc-ir-firestick-driver-for-control4/?tab=comments#comment-278427

Edit: I just checked amazon and based on one review someone does mention using this on the Firetv by just plugging it into the USB slot on the TV. 

Reading over the FLIRC stuff, and Im a little confused.  Does it still require to receive an IR signal from a remote? Or can I send the signal over IP to FLIRC like with IRUSB?

good point hadn't thought of that since i'm using it on my main tv to reduce the firestick input lag... FLIRC does require IR either from an IR blaster connected to a controller or I guess you could use a Z2IO but in that case why not just use the z2io direct to the TV and no need for the flirc at all.

I didn't even think of that.  I just realized I can control these tvs with the Fire TV app for IOS.  I think they don't really power off and just do sleep which IRUSB says they can control sleep/wake.  Maybe Ill take one off an existing device I have and test it out real quick.

So I have added an IRUSB to each TV.  I can successful wake the TV from sleep and that portion is working great.  However, if I try to "turn off" the TV which is really just putting it to sleep, it doesn't seem to work.  I set the setting in the IRUSB drive to put the FireTV into sleep mode when the Room is Turned Off.  I haven't seen another way to enable Sleep mode through the IRUSB driver, but it doesn't see to work.  If I hit the sleep button in the FireTV Remote Control app on my IOS device it does turn off the TV.  Any ideas?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.