C4 Forums | Control4

CYTEXONE to provide a C4 driver for Just Add Power's HDMI over IP

Nded

• 1 month later...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't been able to get any updates from Cytexone on the SNMP driver, but we can report that Rackmount Ransmitter with 3 HDMI Inputs is now available for orders, and should be shipping at the end of this month. Here's a picture:

Rackmount-TX-1.jpg

I haven't been able to get any updates from Cytexone on the SNMP driver, but we can report that Rackmount Ransmitter with 3 HDMI Inputs is now available for orders, and should be shipping at the end of this month. Here's a picture:

http://www.justaddpower.com/images/stories/products/Rackmount-TX-1.jpg

Very cool. So is this also a 3x3 matrix switch, or is each Ethernet out tied to the HDMI that's next to it?

What is msrp on this product?

I haven't been able to get any updates from Cytexone on the SNMP driver' date=' but we can report that Rackmount Ransmitter with 3 HDMI Inputs is now available for orders, and should be shipping at the end of this month. Here's a picture:

[url']http://www.justaddpower.com/images/stories/products/Rackmount-TX-1.jpg

Very cool. So is this also a 3x3 matrix switch, or is each Ethernet out tied to the HDMI that's next to it?

The Ethernet port is "tied" to the adjacent HDMI input. You would need to add 3 HDMI over IP Receivers to make this a 3x3 solution. Then again, you could use 4 Receivers for a 3x4, or 9 Receivers for a 3x9, or 2 Rackmount Transmitters plus 1 Standalone Transmitter plus 13 Recievers for a 7x13.... Sort of the definition of scalabiltiiy if I do say so myself.

What would you think if this product is only available for dealers and has no MSRP? It's sort of hard to imagine a "retail" purchase of a device that requires professional systems integration.

If you choose to make the product only available to dealers and not for retail that is your call, tons of companies do this. At the same time the MANUFACTURER (you, not the dealer) traditionally supplies an MSRP (MANUFACTURERS suggested retail price).

Supplying that information sure helps consumers make a decision and supplies a baseline price they can pay knowing they aren't paying too much.

Back to my original question though. If I purchased this product and three "receivers", the inputs and outputs can be switched, correct? Meaning the HDMI plugged into the left most input can be broadcast out the right most Ethernet port, or any combination, correct?

If I see it correctly, so long as you only wanted three inputs and three outputs, this would eliminate the need for a network switch to handle the "VLAN's", correct?

Sorry if this answer is obvious to everyone else, I just want to understand it completely.

<snip>

Back to my original question though. If I purchased this product and three "receivers", the inputs and outputs can be switched, correct? Meaning the HDMI plugged into the left most input can be broadcast out the right most Ethernet port, or any combination, correct?

If I see it correctly, so long as you only wanted three inputs and three outputs, this would eliminate the need for a network switch to handle the "VLAN's", correct?

I doubt this is the case. It looks like it is 3 separate transmitters in a case that is rack mountable. To have the features you are asking for it would require either a built-in switch with VLANing or an HDMI switch.

Edit

Here is the product sheet from the JAP website. It does require a switch.

http://www.justaddpower.com/component/option,com_rokdownloads/id,88/task,download/view,file

Henniae, thank you. I didn't see your first post before I made my second post. If he could integrate the switching into this product it would be a home run in my book.

Ed, is that technology coming?

That is something for us to think about, but I wouldn't bet on that happening soon. Right now the user can purchase a wide range of switches that will work great with HDMI over IP. Some folks are happy with an 8 port, others want 16, 24, or 48 ports. I'm not sure how we'd pick the right size to configure.

The way it sounds, this is just basically three separate transmitters mounted in one box, and still requires the inputs and outputs be plugged into a supported network switch to have a matrix solution, correct?

In addition to 3 transmitters, there's also a commercial grade universal power supply and a couple cooling fans in the back (required for the heat from the internal power supply).

Have to love Google... though you may want to call your Control4 dealer to see about a better price. Ed has been good to us in the C4 community' date=' and it is the holidays after all :)

http://www.markertek.com/Just-Add-Power.xhtml

The video looks familiar ;)[/quote']

That's interesting. He sells the units for $299 each, or three in one rackmount case for $1,299?!? I would save the $400 and just buy three individual ones. It isn't like the rackmount unit is setup to be properly mounted in an H/A rack and look decent. They really need to move the connecters to the back of the unit.

Have to love Google... though you may want to call your Control4 dealer to see about a better price. Ed has been good to us in the C4 community' date=' and it is the holidays after all :)

That's interesting. He sells the units for $299 each, or three in one rackmount case for $1,299?!? I would save the $400 and just buy three individual ones. It isn't like the rackmount unit is setup to be properly mounted in an H/A rack and look decent. They really need to move the connecters to the back of the unit.

If it's not a full rack deep then just mount it to the rear rack rails and use a blank on the front. You wont even see it, no ?

That's interesting. He sells the units for $299 each, or three in one rackmount case for $1,299?!? I would save the $400 and just buy three individual ones....snip....

Building a rackmount form factor is not an inexpensive proposition. There is a lot more metal required to fill the 19" frame, this not only increases your raw materials cost, but significantly impacts shipping costs. There is also a much more expensive commercial grade switching power supply INSIDE the case, vs. the dirt cheap wall warts. Look at other companies that offer a stand alone form factor and a rackmount form factor. For example, a high end Pioneer Blu-Ray player in stand alone format costs $399 (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=pioneer+blu-ray+player&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=8728934814094049915&ei=w0opS6eEEMi0tgeb0P3ICw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CC0Q8wIwBA#ps-sellers ), while basically the same player costs $999 for a rackmount version (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart_accessories&A=details&Q=&sku=636231&is=REG). I remember when the Vudu XL came out in a Rackmount form factor. The standard XL was $999, and the Rackmount XL2 was $1,299. The same holds true for most other A/V gear I've ever seen in a rackmount form factor.

If it's not a full rack deep then just mount it to the rear rack rails and use a blank on the front. You wont even see it, no ?

The Rackmount Transmitter is only about 8 inches deep, so you can easily hide it back there.

That is what I would do, it just looks cool to have all your equipment showing up front.

That's interesting. He sells the units for....

You know that JAP doesn't sell direct though' date=' right? So this is Markertek's pricing.[/quote']

I know they don't sell direct, when I will buy I will buy it from you.

This is a good reason to have an MSRP...Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price

I'm looking to implement a video distribution system into an existing house, and would use traditional ethernet in most rooms. However, there is one room that would be difficult to run the cabling to. Would the JAP HDMI to Ethernet work well with a POE device? I would assume so since the JAP solution only uses 100 Mbps ports, but wanted to verify before purchasing.

Thanks for the great posts, this is truly helpful.

I'm looking to implement a video distribution system into an existing house, and would use traditional ethernet in most rooms. However, there is one room that would be difficult to run the cabling to. Would the JAP HDMI to Ethernet work well with a POE device? I would assume so since the JAP solution only uses 100 Mbps ports, but wanted to verify before purchasing.

Thanks for the great posts, this is truly helpful.

JAP currently does not support POE, but I'm not sure that was your question.

Archived