C4 Forums | Control4

eBay C4 Equipment

C4CPA

Form looking on eBay it appears I can purchase a lot of C4 equipment for a lower price that I can get the equipment from a dealer. I could purchase some of the equipment and the higher a dealer to install all the equipment that I purchased and any additional equipment supplied by the dealer. What does everyone think about this approach?

I agree. There are several sellers on eBay selling new equipment still in the box. For example a box of 10 dimmers for $200 less than retail. I have seen some posts on this forum stating that most dealers give discounts for large purchases so maybe my dealer will give me a discount when I am ready to purchase a system.

Depends on the dealer, there are a lot out there that will not install product that is not purchased from them because they can not warranty it. I have seen several posts in the past from members saying they were burned by purchasing defective products from ebay.

If you can find an installer that will install it after bench testing everything it is going to eat up that $200 really quickly after several hours of labor to bench test everything, and finds that a switch is bad and sells you a new one.

Jesse

Unless you can save ~80%, just buy it from the dealer, that is my take.

People are on here all the time asking why a certain product they got on ebay isn't working quite right. That is where everyone sells there old crap.

Granted, there are some good deals on there. I bought two 10.5" touchpanels off ebay, and they both worked out great! I got them for $500 each, and retail was $2,500. I figured if I had to I could go through 2 bad ones before I got a good one and still have only invested $1,500. To me, that savings was worth the risk. To save $200 on 10 dimmers, and then deal with a dealer charging more to install equipment he didn't sell - well I don't see how that is worth it.

Remember, if C4 finds out about a dealer selling new stuff on ebay, the shit hits the fan. I know a guy that was a dealer and isn't any more (he's a member of this very forum), because he sold some inventory he wanted to move on ebay. I would say more than 90% of the time, you aren't buying from a dealer, even when the equipment is advertised as new.

Good luck.

Archived