C4 Forums | Control4

Essential Lighting Line

homeauto01

I am looking to add some additional switches and dimmers to the system in the house I just purchased.  I noticed that C4 has a line of switches called Essential Lighting.  Appears to be a budget line.  My existing switches and dimmers and keypads are the original line.  What is the main difference with this Essential Line?  What is the price difference (as a rough percentage savings)?  Are the savings worth it?  Any other thoughts about the Essential Lighting Line? Thanks

Essentials line:

-look slightly different (as I'm sure you saw from the pictures)

-no top & bottom LEDs, just one LED on bottom which is configurable to some degree

-no backlighting/etched buttons

-they come in white, however they DO actually offer color change kits for $5 extra to change them to Black, Light Almond, or Snow White

-they have a dimmer (Forward Phase Only, no Adaptive Phase like regular line), or a switch (on/off)

-are $85 msrp for dimmer or switch, so yes they are a significant savings over regular.

-as Mitch said you can mix & match but I wouldn't put them right next to each other unless you aren't too worried about things matching aesthetically.

Here is a previous thread that also has some good information on this topic as well.  I believe one of the big hurdles when it comes to the dimmers is knowing if you are using either Forward Phase or Reverse Phase as the Essential line only supports Forward phase dimming.  I was also looking at this line to expand some dimming capability but all my dimming load uses Reverse phase so I have to stay with the normal line of C4 products which has the Adaptive phase dimmer.  

How long has this line been out?  Are they made my same company as standard line? Do we have any data or antidotal evidence on their robustness and longevity (including sensitivity to line surges) as compared to the standard line?

My current switches are 4-5 years old and are Intertek, it looks like the current switches are Decora. (or is this just a style name)

What is the MSRP for the standard Switch and Dimmer?

Well after looking into forward vs reverse phase, it seems like reverse phase is what I need since ALL of my lights are either LED or a few Fluorescents.  And apparently reverse phase is better for all equipment longevity and dims better over the entire range than forward.  So standard line it is.

• 4 months later...

Researching dimmers for a small C4 upgrade.    Looking at the Essential line from C4 - they looked familiar to me but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Jasco Embrighten Series (branded as GE/Honeywell/etc).

https://byjasco.com/enbrighten-zigbee-in-wall-smart-dimmer-with-quickfittm-and-simplewiretm-white-almond

image.thumb.png.d49bbd540ce1238278c6411ad547bfea.png

C4 Essential:

image.thumb.png.ad20820d9b9d2fece5975fbea97bb2ea.pngimage.thumb.png.a6206cfaccaa4eea49c3a38e7d6a0492.png

Definitely based on the same unit.  Different switch plate of course.    I'm guessing like other C4 Zigbee products they use a different profile so the Jasco direct ones aren't compatible.   But still I found it interesting.    The plugin outlet/dimmers look just like the Jasco made/rebranded units as well.

I do have several of the Jasco made Zwave plug in switch/dimmers and they work fine with my ST hub, so not knocking Jasco.   Just hadn't seen it mentioned here yet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.