C4 Forums | Control4

Amazon issues!!!! possible security risk.!!!!

Dan Perkins

Has anyone had any issues with Amazon Alexa randomly sending commands to C4 system?

How secure is it?

I am worried about security risk of alarms disarming, doors unlocking and Electronic doors opening from commands sent from Alexa which have not been activated from either voice command or Routines. 

No, if you are seeing something like that I would validate that you don't have any unknown devices connected to your Amazon account.  You can go to https://www.amazon.com/hz/mycd/digital-console/alldevices and validate that all the devices are yours.

Do you have MFA on your Amazon Account?

Also I dont recommend using Alexa to arm/disarm, lock/unlock doors as audio based commands are inherently unsecure. 

54 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

No, if you are seeing something like that I would validate that you don't have any unknown devices connected to your Amazon account.  You can go to https://www.amazon.com/hz/mycd/digital-console/alldevices and validate that all the devices are yours.

Do you have MFA on your Amazon Account?

Also I dont recommend using Alexa to arm/disarm, lock/unlock doors as audio based commands are inherently unsecure. 

All been check and no unknown devices, I have all the Authentication setup on my account.

My lights that come on randomly had automatically created a voice command on Alexa when paired with C4 (main light on) command was not created by me.

Alexa randomly sends C4 this command without any interaction from me.

6 hours ago, Dan Perkins said:

Has anyone had any issues with Amazon Alexa randomly sending commands to C4 system?

How secure is it?

I am worried about security risk of alarms disarming, doors unlocking and Electronic doors opening from commands sent from Alexa which have not been activated from either voice command or Routines. 

I doubt there is anything secure about Amazon Alexa... 

On 12/22/2020 at 4:29 PM, Jack_Ckun said:

doesn't the Alexa app show who triggered the commands in the history? if I remember the screen it would show the device also

Yes it does but this request doesn't show.

I have had a reply back from amazon, they say it was a routine that was activated on the day I connected Control4 to alexa, and it was deactivated the day I phoned control4 and amazon for help on this matter. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.