C4 Forums | Control4

13 zones of audio

johnred

I actually have this same situation' date=' 13 zones but I'd like to avoid buying that expensive matrix switch.

What if your audio source is simply a hard drive with mp3 files, that connects to the HC-300 via USB? I was under the impression that all of the zones could play this type of source all at once.[/quote']

In this case you could use 2 C4 amps and take one of the to analog outputs from you controller to each amp.

Perfect! Though I have 12-13 total zones (still deciding), I only have 8 zones where it is both distributed audio and video, so we can hook up all of my video sources to the same C4 8 zone multizone amp. That way any and all of my video zones can get the audio from any video source. Then with the hard drive hooked up to the C4 HC-300 via a USB connection, and the C4 HC-300's audio outputs hooked up to each multi-zone amp, I can get audio from my mp3's to any and all zones. This is all I need.

Thanks!

I actually have this same situation' date=' 13 zones but I'd like to avoid buying that expensive matrix switch.

What if your audio source is simply a hard drive with mp3 files, that connects to the HC-300 via USB? I was under the impression that all of the zones could play this type of source all at once.[/quote']

In this case you could use 2 C4 amps and take one of the to analog outputs from you controller to each amp.

Perfect! Though I have 12-13 total zones (still deciding), I only have 8 zones where it is both distributed audio and video, so we can hook up all of my video sources to the same C4 8 zone multizone amp. That way any and all of my video zones can get the audio from any video source. Then with the hard drive hooked up to the C4 HC-300 via a USB connection, and the C4 HC-300's audio outputs hooked up to each multi-zone amp, I can get audio from my mp3's to any and all zones. This is all I need.

Thanks!

As I understand it it is best not to split the HC sources between two amps when y-spitting (read no matrix switch). In that configuration you would have all the audio outputs of one C4 HC to one amp and the outputs from a second HC to the second AMP.

As I understand it it is best not to split the HC sources between two amps when y-spitting (read no matrix switch). In that configuration you would have all the audio outputs of one C4 HC to one amp and the outputs from a second HC to the second AMP.

I'm not contemplating Y-splitting. I'm hooking up a hard drive with my mp3 files to the HC via USB, and using the HC-300's dual audio outputs to each multi-zone amp.

Wouldn't you be better Y-splitting each of your outputs from the HC300 and then running them to both amps as 2 sources? That way you could listen to 2 independent sources in any of your zones at the same time.

C4 dies not recommend Y splitting the outputs of the HC audio outputs. I do not recall the reason why.

Wouldn't you be better Y-splitting each of your outputs from the HC300 and then running them to both amps as 2 sources? That way you could listen to 2 independent sources in any of your zones at the same time.

C4 dies not recommend Y splitting the outputs of the HC audio outputs. I do not recall the reason why.

As I understand it, the issue is that the HC's dynamically create and tear down audio sessions as required, and splitting the output plays havoc with the session management logic. I trust that RyanE will correct me if I am mistaken.

If I order an additional C4 amp now, to add to my existing amp (running 1.7.3) can it co-exist, or do I need to upgrade my entire system to 1.8?

Depends on the firmware of the amp, if it ships on 1.8 you will need to update your system, but I dont think much gear is coming from C4 that way at present.

Archived