C4 Forums | Control4

Advanced Networking Switch

ERDrPC

I currently have a Mikrotik router https://mikrotik.com/product/CCR1036-8G-2SplusEM and 1 gig internet service. My router does my switching and handles a VPN connection with a dedicated computer and ethernet cable. It has 2 SFP+ ports and 8 x 1 gig ethernet ports. 

I have 3 cisco switches - 10Gbase-T and POE - all with SFP+ connections between them. One is for my JAP install and the rest are for the network. They connect to each other then to the router.

I was looking to offload the switching from my router to a Top-of-rack switch and have all SFP+ interconnected network. I would connect all my cisco switches via SFP+ to this new switch. I also want to upgrade my ruckus three R710 to R850. I've found two different poe++ Nbase-T small switches to use for them. Both have sfp+ as well for connecting to the top-of-rack switch. 

Yes this is overkill but I love this stuff. I have a minilab with two computers that have dual port SFP+ cards - one port on each is used as a direct connect between them. I would use the other port on main server to connect to the new switch and the other port on the second computer to connect to the second SFP+ router port for the VPN connection. This second computer doesn't need access to my network..ideally it is firewalled off the main network.  

I know C4 doesn't like managed switches. I decided against VLANs to avoid complicating things. I'm looking to maximize switching speeds and reduce network hops. 

I've found:

https://mikrotik.com/product/crs326_24s_2q_rm - 24 sfp+ and 2 qsfp+

https://www.fs.com/products/108710.html - 20 SFP+, 4 x SFP28 and 2 qsfp+

I need switches that have a GUI as I cannot program CLI.

I guess two questions -

1. Will a network like this cause any headaches with C4

2. Anyone tackle a project like this? 

3 hours ago, ERDrPC said:

I know C4 doesn't like managed switches.

C4 Techsupport doesn't like calls about poorly setup managed switches. In and of itself there is no issue using managed switches

I have 3 cisco switches - 10Gbase-T and POE - all with SFP+ connections between them. One is for my JAP install and the rest are for the network. They connect to each other then to the router.

Uh.

First, unless you have a VERY advanced JAP setup, the JAP switch should be running it's own VLAN, and only one regular port is likely in use for communication to the system.

Second, are you cascading switches?

I was looking to offload the switching from my router to a Top-of-rack switch

Right thing to do, but you would have: Router to MAIN switch then MAIN switch to secondary switches.

The Ruckus doesn't need to be direct to the main switch to save SPF ports, as they wouldn't make use of the setup.

So if you're looking to upgrade your network, I would at LEAST look at a 4-port SPF+ (you could use a full SPF+ switch, but that REALLY doesn't do anything unless you're running a network that in any way shape or form is making use of it - but it's your money) using one port for router feed, then 3 to 3 secondary switches.

4 hours ago, ERDrPC said:

I would connect all my cisco switches via SFP+ to this new switch

You're on the right track. Honestly what you plan to do is perfectly fine, and shouldn't cause any issues.

but...

4 hours ago, ERDrPC said:

Yes this is overkill but I love this stuff

That may be an understatement 😄

I'm confused by the phrase "My router does my switching"

If everything is on the same vlan, local traffic isn't hitting your router, unless I'm missing something.

Adding an additional switch after the router is adding a hop (at least to get out on wan)? again unless I'm missing something.

All three Cisco switches are L3 capable but only operating as simple switches. No vlans, qos, etc. I could be wrong but it's my understanding that the intranet traffic will pass thru the router. Ie ea5 to Cisco switch#1 to router to Cisco jap switch and NOT ea5 to cisco switch #1 to cisco jap switch. 

I assumed you meant your router is your 'main switch' as well (as in you have other switches all wired to your router, vs router - main switch - other switches)  - but yeah it won't pass through your router in the way you describe. Once assigned and IP device will talk 'directly' to each other, using the simplest path - your router isn't acting as an intermediary at that point.

Ah, in that case, anything that is on #1 or #2 that needs to talk to anything on #3 WOULD pass via the router.

That may or may not be an issue depending on how much traffic passes from devices on #1 and #2 to #3 and back. The impact may be minimal to begin with mind you, but not 'ideal'

'Best' would be to use one central switch, and to carefully plan what is on other switches.

ie:

Have one switch dedicated for all C4 branded devices, and any IP controlled devices, so that most of that traffic is only using the backbone of the switch (this is where you may have an exception to the 'do not cascade switches' in that a dedicated JAP switch would likely be connected to this switch directly)

Have another switch for all your IP cameras and your NVR

Those two switches go to a central switch which also connects your WAPs and 'extra' devices (game systems, PCs, devices that need internet but aren't IP controlled by C4)

This is all about trying to keep as much traffic as possible/feasible WITHIN a switch's backbone (also called 'switching capacity), limiting the inter-switch traffic to small numbers and low data streams.

This generally already removes the need to use SPF+ connections (though of course it's still better to have a faster connection) and/or trunking switches. A good 24 port switch can have an internal backbone/switching capacity of 50+ Gbps - meaning it can basically internally run all 24 ports at full Gbs speed in both directions with some overlap for SPF+ ports to run higher when needed.

Like I said before - what you're looking to do doesn;'t hurt, but good planning usually eliminates the need (pretty much completely) for what you're doing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.