C4 Forums | Control4

Expanding my audio zones

I am looking to add 2 more zones for my audio system. I am currently running a C4-8AMP-1B. I am needing 2 more zones added, but not sure which way to go. I have talked to my dealer and he suggested that I look for a 2nd 4 zone amp from C4 and it would have to be 2nd hand as they discontinued. Is this the easiest and most cost efficient way? Should I just buy a 2nd hand C4-16AMP3-B instead? Can I run sonos and the c4 amp simultaneously? Any feedback is appreciated. 

I have a couple of both the C4-8AMP and C4-16AMP.  They are both older models, but they seem to be very solid products that are lasting for a long time.  The next gen of C4 amps (104 or 108) seemed to have issues - at least I have a 108 with issues and there are a few threads here with people with similar issues to what I have.

You can buy either on ebay on a fairly regular basis.  Prices are roughly $400 for the 4 zone and $600 for the 8 zone.

There are pros and cons to adding a 4 zone or swapping out your existing 4 zone for an 8 zone.  If you add another 4 zone then you need another output from your C4 controller. If you listen to several different streams throughout the house then you might run into limitations, like only able to listen to one unique stream for any zone on four zone amp 1.  But if you never listen to more than one or two streams that is less of an issue, depending on your controllers.  You could solve this by adding an HC-800 controller which has several outputs.  You could add a splitter to the output from your controller but that can cause complications as there may be contention for control.

With an 8 zone amp you can have much more flexibility in listening to multiple streams throughout your house.  The other advantage is that one 8 zone amp takes up less space than two 4 zone amps.

The advantage to using two 4 zones is that you can use digital inputs without an adapter as inputs 1 and 3 can take digital coax.  The 8 zone doesn't have digital coax inputs - but you can buy adapters if required pretty cheaply.  I think there a couple of other minor differences as well - like powersave mode that is only on the 4 zone and not the 8 zone.

Swap out the 4 zone amp for an 8 zone. the old C4-16AMP is an amazing product. Then sell your 4 zone. Shouldn't be hard as the 4 zones were incredible value and I know alot of people would still have use for it.

Or you could always get 2 x Triad One's. But with that being said i'm sure a used 16 channel matrix amp is less than 2 brand new Triad One's. 

If your still using Sonos (and plan on using Triad One's) and not just Native C4 streaming services you will need to have the sonos go into one of the Controllers audio inputs. It will add a bit of latency but then your Sonos could be listened to in the Triad One zones as well.

Just get a 16 channel matrix amp.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.