C4 Forums | Control4

AUDIO IN to HC300

rchawla80

Hi guys -

I really need your help with some connections.

I have a Airport Express connected via stereo cables to the Audio in of my HC300 (director). How do I map this audio source to the entire house so that it streams to all zones? There is an audio out going to my local receiver already. So the music will stream to other zones over ethernet.

Anyone willing to help me program this I can pay their fee but I dont have 4sight.

Please HELP!

Thank you

Also -

Is the Audio Input for HC300 autosensing? I have managed to bind The HC300 Audio input source to a driver that has an audio out. Now that options shows up in my Audio sources. Should this work now if I stream music and the sources will automatically change?

How will the receivers know to pick up the Audio Input from the HC300?

For anyone warning me about screwing up my system: I have a backup and can reverse everything I have done.

Thanks a lot everyone.

Can anyone explain this for me? I don't understand.

I have an airport express that I'd love to use for streaming audio to all zones.

I have an HC300.

Audio Out 1 goes to my C4 AMP (controls zone 1 and zone 2)

Audio Out 2 goes to my Onkyo Receiver (controls zone 3)

Are we saying I can connect the Airport Express to the Audio In of the HC300 and it will then distribute that audio to the C4 AMP and Receiver?

FYI, Zone 3 is on the Onkyo receiver because it is 5.1 surround. The receiver also connects into the C4 AMP to provide AM/FM to zone 1 and 2.

Someone emailed me about this so I will document here as I don't have access to my home email here:

- Take your airport Express and plug a stereo cable from it to your HC300.

- Create a new driver that has an Audio stereo out signal.

- Bind that driver to your HC300 Audio Input.

Now, that device should show up in your Listen/Audio - when you pick it, it will transmit that over that zone. If you add zones, it will automatically transmit that signal over ethernet/lan to all the zones.

Some piece of advice:

1. Make sure where you connect the audio in to the main HC300 (that is running director), this way you will avoid lag.

2. Also note that there will be a lag from your computer to the HC300 so do not expect your macbook/imac to tie to your zones, there will be a 2-3 sec lag, but all the ZONES should work together.

3. As far as digital 5.1 is concerned, it cannot be done unless you have an actual computer and then you connect to one local zone (digital) and also send up to you C4 (from the local zone - analog).

4. C4 does not support digital streaming as far as I know over ethernet right now (as there is no digital/optical in a HC300).

I syched all 4 independent zones and 4 zones on a 16 channel amp and they all tied. Audio quality is a bit bad in the digital zone (that has 5.1) but if you tweak the receiver to 7ch or Stereo it makes it up.

Hope this helps!

4. C4 does not support digital streaming as far as I know over ethernet right now (as there is no digital/optical in a HC300).

There's a digital coax input on the HC500, as well as on the multi-channel amplifiers.

HC500:

controller_hc-500_alt.jpg

4 Zone amp:

4_zone_amplifier_alt.jpg

And yes, you can stream that digital coax to an Ethernet speaker point or another controller over Ethernet, after being digitized by the HC500. But you cannot stream any music over Ethernet to the amplifiers at this time.

Is there a Digital/optical in the HC300? I could setup the Airport Express where my Media Controller is but then it wouldn't be near the director and it will cause lag getting to the different zones (as I run some wireless zones).

I wish I could move my HC300 down, but I have no damn space for the old junk Media Controller upstairs and thats where my internet hub is!

Ipod question for you folks:

If you have a dock, do you have to scan the media? or does it work instantaneously? Can an Ipod dock replace a Media Controller essentially then?

Apple TV - is there a driver for an Apple TV? Mac Mini?

Thanks

Is there a Digital/optical in the HC300?

No. Just the 500.

If you have a dock, do you have to scan the media? or does it work instantaneously?

No scanning, great for parties and your friends bringing over their iPods.

Can an Ipod dock replace a Media Controller essentially then?

Depends on what all you use the media controller for, but for media, probably.

Apple TV - is there a driver for an Apple TV? Mac Mini?

Yes, there is an IR and one-way IP driver for the AppleTv. I'm not sure what driver you'd want for the mac mini - what's it doing?

Interesting Information ...

Okay question:

If I had an Apple TV with Mp3's (main source). Can I source that to my HC500 as network storage? I tried using an Airdisk last night to source to a Network Storage and it would not find a Mac Formatted drive. Is that the case?

I want to get rid of my Media Controller and put in an HC200 to speed things up.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Archived