C4 Forums | Control4

"Disable" a dimmer

The dimmer for my outside lights is beside the dimmer for my mudroom lights. When my kids come home, they often turn on both by accident, and the outside lights will be on all day without anyone noticing.

Since I have the outside lights programmed (schedule) to gone on at dusk and off at 11:00 PM, is there any way I can "disable" the ourside light dimmer in the mudroom so it can't be pressed by accident?

Thanx in advance.

The dimmer for my outside lights is beside the dimmer for my mudroom lights. When my kids come home, they often turn on both by accident, and the outside lights will be on all day without anyone noticing.

Since I have the outside lights programmed (schedule) to gone on at dusk and off at 11:00 PM, is there any way I can "disable" the ourside light dimmer in the mudroom so it can't be pressed by accident?

Thanx in advance.

When outside light dimmer goes on

If time is not after dusk or outside ambient light <= ?? (if you had an outside light sensor you could check the ambient light too)

turn outside dimmer off (effectively disabling the siwtch during normal daylight hours).

You could also add this:

When outside light dimmer goes off

If time is after dusk

turn outside dimmer on (effectively disabling the switch during night time hours that you want that light on ... aka via your scheduler).

Click on the dimmer in Composer.

Look under 'Advanced Properties' -> 'Options'.

Uncheck the 'Buttons Attached'.

Viola', your buttons no longer control the load.

RyanE

Very Cool!!!

This is perfect! Let me make sure I understand this correctly. If I have schedulers setup to turn my outside lights on and off, I can uncheck the "Buttons Attached" box and essentially turn those dimmers into two button keypads?

If so, THAT'S AWESOME! I have three dimmers dedicated to my outside lighting, but I NEVER turn it on and off with the dimmer. If I could use those as keypads without changing the load, that would be fantastic!

In "detaching" the buttons from the load, will the buttons still work with and accept programming such as double and triple click functions to control other devices or routines?

To ILoveC4's question as to it acting as a 2 button keypad, and I guess to ask it another way... when physically pushing the buttons, after detaching them, will those pushes be recognized by the system, except that they will no longer control the load they are directly connected to?

In "detaching" the buttons from the load, will the buttons still work with and accept programming such as double and triple click functions to control other devices or routines?

To ILoveC4's question as to it acting as a 2 button keypad, and I guess to ask it another way... when physically pushing the buttons, after detaching them, will those pushes be recognized by the system, except that they will no longer control the load they are directly connected to?

Yes That is correct. You can then use them as you wish. I have one that acts as a volume control and another that load some variables for other programming aspects.

Michelo

Thanx in advance.

You could also have a double tap activate the dimmer, that way an accidental press would not turn them on

Not to mention, if the buttons are detached, and the power is out, the dimmer won't properly dim the lights.

:)

RyanE

Oh cool, a tornado is coming and the power is out. Let's dim the lights and set the mood! Oh crap, I forgot - my buttons are detached!! Oh noes! :P

Archived