C4 Forums | Control4

Alarm info

neildilgee

They are two different systems.

GE purchased both panels in buying the respective companies that manufactured them. Because of this, they have different accessories, fill slightly different niches, etc.

The GE Concord 4 is the latest in the Concord line, which was originally by ITI, then Interlogix, and then purchased by GE. It has what is called the 'Automation Module', which plugs in via a keypad bus to the panel, and provides a serial port for automation.

The NX series panels were previously created and sold by Caddx, which was purchased by GE. The NX-587E is what is called the 'Virtual Keypad Module', and, like the Concord's automation module, plugs into the bus of an NX-series panel, and provides a serial port for automation.

They're both great solutions, and pretty comparable in terms of features.

RyanE

What are the different niches that these two systems are designed for?

Thanks i'm quite aware of that, i was reffering to the hc500 to which its attached the alarm itself is a 1864

I've on my home system anyway never had to power cycle my alarm' date=' it still comes back up after i reboot my controller.. so perhaps its a hit and miss issue...

My alarm however is on backup and has never had the battery die.. so im thinking maybe its if the alarm goes dead and then the controller is rebooted[/quote']

IT-100 is not an alarm controller- just the RS-232 interface

well, thanks for the helpful info. so, besides the normal typical functions like arming/disarming, you could also bypass a zone, or set the alarm systems chime on/off? Do the alarm controls on the control4 GUI/touchscreens appear as if to resemble the actual keypad on your alarm system?

bypass and chime yes. However the GUI doesn't say which numbers are bypass/chime so you have to know that. Where as the real keypad shows the function underneath the number. The second image shows what pops up after hitting the toggle button on the first screen. I figured out the hard way these perform your quick arm/call fire department/police buttons. Needless to say the alarm company loved me when I set off the fire button.

Anybody know where I could get access to installation manuals for the hc-500 controller...I am anxious to get into installing this stuff

If you're a dealer, on the dealer portal of Control4.com. If you work for a dealer, they can provide you with the necessary resources.

Anybody know where I could get access to installation manuals for the hc-500 controller...I am anxious to get into installing this stuff

The install is pretty straight forward. You plug some cables into the back...you don't need your dealer to do that. Unfortunately to make it do anythign will require a dealer...

If you're a dealer' date=' on the dealer portal of Control4.com. If you work for a dealer, they can provide you with the necessary resources.[/quote']

I am working at becoming a dealer, but will b take me awhile to meet all of their requirements...I was just wondering if anyone could help me find programming info and that sort of thing so I can learn the stuff

If you're a dealer' date=' on the dealer portal of Control4.com. If you work for a dealer, they can provide you with the necessary resources.[/quote']

I am working at becoming a dealer, but will b take me awhile to meet all of their requirements...I was just wondering if anyone could help me find programming info and that sort of thing so I can learn the stuff

Well, there are programming tips on the blog:

signature.png

But as far as getting the software restricted to dealers only that you need to set it up, the three-day training course at C4, and the manuals, no.

No worries- I'm not crazy about the IT-100 in that it needs power-cycling once the attached HC is cycled.

Glad to know that. I'm about to install one of the IT-100.

I wonder if there is a way to automate the cycling of the IT-100.

E.g.' date=' something like

When project loads, toggle power to the DSC panel[/quote']

Get it going and see what happens. After hook-up and verification, just pull a reset on the HC and see if you still can run scripts off the info coming back on the serial line. .

The ones with the "best" integrations are the Vista 20p with ICM, DCM with RS-232 IT Pro module, and the GE Concord 4. These are the ones most commonly installed, and have full keypad emulation.

Just a note, 'Full keypad emulation' is incorrect. You cannot press the 'D' and 'E' keys on the keypad as far as I can tell using control 4. If anyone knows a way, let me know.

Archived