C4 Forums | Control4

Pakedge RK-1 PPPoE setup behind ISP router

mac88

I have a Pakedge RK-1 setup behind my ISP modem (Bell Home Hub 4000).  It is configured for WAN with DHCP to gets its IP address and everything is working.  

I want to setup the RK-1 to connect its WAN via PPPoE so the RK-1 can have its own IP vs the Bell modem.   When I tried this setting, I am able to connect and get a separate IP (different from the Bell modem).  However, in this mode, I am unable to browse any websites.  I have looked into the logs and it does appear to be connecting via PPPoE credentials and getting the external IP.  My RK-1 router is running firmeware: 2.00.2.100853

I don't have any special firewall rules, just whatever is default and they seem fine when the WAN gets IP via DHCP.

Are there any other settings needed to be changed on the RK-1 when using PPPoE? 

Depending on which Homehub 4000 you have there is an issue with the firmware for PPPoe passthrough. if you go to dslreports.com in the bell canada section there is a whole write up on it. if you have the affected modem you and request the fixed firmware in the Bell Direct forums.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33502228-Internet-Bell-Giga-Hub-4000-PPPoE-passthru-not-working

Hi folks - thanks the for suggestions.

It turns out that I had to turn on "MSS Clamping" (checkbox on the Firewall settings page for the WAN).  This basically reduces the Maximum Segment Size. I guess when I was double NAT, my ISP router already reduced the MTU so that it wasn't a problem.  With the ISP Router in bridge mode, it looks like I had to reduce the segment size on the RK-1.

Hope this helps anyone, and thanks again for the replies.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.