C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 system running Off Network Question

ejn1

Hi all,

Wanted to see if I could get confirmation.... Can a simple C4 system with one controller and only control4 zigbee devices (eg lighting), once setup, be run off of the local network (eg ethernet unplugged) if time is set to Legacy in the controller?

Thanks in advance!

Hmm well first off, it should still be connected to a router at least (internet or not).

It will run for quite some time fine if a local ntp is set up or a loop-back, but it cannot be guaranteed - a C4 system should have at least sporadic access to the internet.

Also, don't expect apps to work well.

Note that having any 3rd party drivers likely means you cannot NOT have an internet connection.

Theoretically a C4 system in and of itself doesn't require internet, but in reality, almost no setup will function reliably with it short of anytheing that is really just a universal single tv remote setup (and use IR for everything)

14 hours ago, rogerave4u said:

I have done a simple zigbee and ir system without internet, but with a router in place. I set the controller to a static ip, and it has been working fine for years. It was in a boardroom and the IT guys did not want it on there commercial network.

Huge thanks confirming this!

On 7/17/2023 at 8:37 PM, ejn1 said:

It would only have zigbee lighting so my hope was the controller could function reliably unplugged

If for control (not schedules) you should indeed be fine with this, though I still recommend putting (at this point any old) router behind it. Loopback ports are an option, but just getting any old cheap router is just that much easier.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.