C4 Forums | Control4

Alarm system: glass break detector

I have noticed that the C4 system (Media Controller) correctly reports a triggered glass break detector. However, even though the alarm system subsequently returns to normal state following the triggered event, the C4 system continues to show that sensor X is "sensing broken glass". In addition, the C4 system will no longer indicate the true status of the alarm system. For example, after I arm the alarm system my MC will continue to report that the glass break is sensing broken glass and that the system is disarmed.

Any idea why the C4 system continues to show a triggerd glass break long after the event and why it no longers reports the true state of the alarm system?

On a related note, last night at 5 am my Concord 4 alarm went off because the kitchen/morning room glass break detector was triggered. Freaked the crap out of me and my wife but was a false alarm. Second time in 6 months that sensors have triggered with no cause... very irritating. The only thing scarier is the one time my dog went to the top of the stairs in the middle of the night and started growling in a manner Ive never heard from him before.

</end rant>

How does one program events to occur once the alarm is triggered in Composer HE?

Theyre not necessarily needed in all places, but we do have windows in some areas that dont have motion detectors like the office, basement bedroom, etc. Given, a thief couldt get into the main part of the house without triggering motions but I figured for an extra $100 or so total cost for each it was worth it.

I hate alarm systems. I had one in my old house and never used the damn thing except for when we were on vacation. I would get a call from an employee in the middle of the night and step out on my master bedroom deck and set the damn thing off...

Yeah thats why I have the kitchen speakers now announce 'You have 45 seconds to disarm the alarm' when it gets triggered.

Unfortunately that wouldn't have done me any good. I was on the phone, one level above and other side of the house, on a deck over the back yard.

Anyways, to each his own....alarm systems are more of a pain that a benefit IMO.

Theyre not necessarily needed in all places, but we do have windows in some areas that dont have motion detectors like the office, basement bedroom, etc. Given, a thief couldt get into the main part of the house without triggering motions but I figured for an extra $100 or so total cost for each it was worth it.

Sorry, I should have said contacts instead of motions. Contacts are pretty much fool-proof don't you think? Glass breakage detectors are for autos and display cases...

I hate alarm systems. I had one in my old house and never used the damn thing except for when we were on vacation. I would get a call from an employee in the middle of the night and step out on my master bedroom deck and set the damn thing off...

This is why good installs include a KP in the Master Bedroom :)

This is why good installs include a KP in the Master Bedroom :)

We had one, but when I got awoke at 2AM and was trying to answer the phone and get out of the room as quick as possible to not awake my wife I would forget to turn the damn thing off. Plus, the buttons beeped loud enough to wake her up anyways.

I knew you were going to say that. Well, I guess the announcement thingy wouldn't work in your case either. I don't know... I don't ever set mine either to be honest with you. I just use it for notification when the kids are trying to go out when they aren't suppose to.

I knew you were going to say that. Well, I guess the announcement thingy wouldn't work in your case either. I don't know... I don't ever set mine either to be honest with you. I just use it for notification when the kids are trying to go out when they aren't suppose to.

Yeah, the card access sensor bridge and GE sensors in the doors work great for that....that is what I am doing at my house right now.

^Do you have any idea why the GE motions aren't compatible with the CA bridge?

I would imagine it is because the GE motions are wired (I believe) and Card Access makes motions themselves. The card access motions do a much better job at sensing occupancy as well, but it comes at the expense of less than ideal battery life.

^ GE has both wired and wireless motions. My bet would be the wireless GE motions are in fact compatible with the bridge but the driver itself does not recognize them, perhaps as not to compete with CA's line of motions. GE's PIR's sense motion and have a 3 min lock out to reduce battery drain. They are also supervised (meaning they checkin). I'm only venturing a hypothesis here. I don't have a CA bridge to test this with.

BTW, I asked a question on another thread about CA's 2.x occupancy app for this very reason. Ryan seemed to think the app would in fact support them (read other 3rd party PIR's/motions). Perhaps there's hope.

Yeah, I think the app will support them but only through a supported security panel, not the sensor bridge, that is my guess anyways.

The card access sensors are great because they constantly sense for motion, and don't lock out for 3 minutes after motion is sensed. While 3 minutes is fine for some areas, in other (closets, garage, etc..) that would mean the light was on for 2 minutes and 30 seconds longer than it needed to be. If occupancy is what you're after, it is my experience that the card access sensors accomplish this much better.

Of course, much of this is speculation and all of it is just my short sighted opinion =)

^ Too many batteries for me.Wired PIR's for occupancy (http://www.visonic.com/Products/Wired-Detectors/Spy-1) on an unarmed security partition would do the trick. Low profile, simple, reliable and no batteries.

And what panel do you wire those in with? They are sure much better looking than the bulky card access ones (which aren't bad looking, just big in comparison). What do those cost?

In terms of price, I seem to remember bust out retail around $60-$65. Those PIR's (there are 4 models) are all NC or normally closed so they should work with any panel (some panels support both NC and NO, others - the cheaper ones - just NC). The Concord 4: the panel, enclosure, automation module, battery, etc (read no contacts/sensors) will set you back say ~ $175. It comes with 8 hardwire zones, 96 wireless zones and 6 partitions with the base kit. So after the first 2 you're ahead of the game $-wise.

And those PIR's can be placed just about anywhere, including the ceiling.

In terms of price, I seem to remember bust out retail around $60-$65. Those PIR's (there are 4 models) are all NC or normally closed so they should work with any panel (some panels support both NC and NO, others - the cheaper ones - just NC). The Concord 4: the panel, enclosure, automation module, battery, etc (read no contacts/sensors) will set you back say ~ $175. It comes with 8 hardwire zones, 96 wireless zones and 6 partitions with the base kit. So after the first 2 you're ahead of the game $-wise.

And those PIR's can be placed just about anywhere, including the ceiling.

I had a Concord4 quoted for me prior to my decided to get the GE Sensor Bridge and it was a lot more than $175. I think they automation module alone was around $300. That was parts only as well, no labor or setup.

Whoooa. Not sure where you received the quote from.

Parts to get you started:

The automation module (60-783-02) $58

Battery $15

Transformer $9

Siren $10

Kit $125 (includes 96 wireless & 8 wired zones, 6 partitions & keypad)

Options:

(You can step up the kit above and and get a wireless PIR and 3 contacts for $175)

Additional surface mount design line contacts $32

The wireless model recessed door sensor you used in the write up (NX470 I think) $ ~50

A five pack of similar wired recessed sensors ~25

You supply the cable and backer board.

You see where this goes, even if you don't monitor the panel you're ahead of the game.

Hope this helps.

Edited to add:

I've been thinking about the CA wireless bridge since I wrote the above. Did they actually engineer that PCB in the enclosure or is it just a GE RF Receiver re branded CA ? Reason I ask is perhaps CA just reverse engineered the sensor signalling, just wrote a driver, and marked up the GE hw to cover their software engineering ?

Edited again:

Ok. Answered my own question. They either engineered the whole receiver or just added a zigbee radio to an existing pcb. Either way, no small feat :)

Yeah, I don't know exactly how they did it but the Card Access device talks to the Control4 via Zigbee, and the GE Sensors via some other wireless communication that I am unfamiliar with.

Just curious, where are you getting your prices on the Concord4? I am not disputing them, but it may increase my interest in this again.

Archived