C4 Forums | Control4

Apple TV & Mac Mini Running XBMC - Driver help

akg4y

I am currently running XBMC on a Mac Mini and plan on adding an Apple TV or 2 running it as well in the near future. The problem is with the Apple remote you can only map 6 commands, and if you do the press and hold maybe 12 commands, but based on this thread:

http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52169

You can actually map 10 device IDs x 6 commands = 60 total commands.

Does anyone with remote configuration and driver knowledge understand that thread, and does the ccf file the guy uploaded (post 5) to remotecentral make it any easier?

Cody, I know youre a big XBMC guy also do you think this could be helpful for gaining more single-button control of XBMC?

Well hm.. how would one go about maintaining the ability to use the Apple TV AND use XBMC on the Apple TV in control 4 since the system would only use one of the drivers and wouldnt necessarily know if XBMC was launched on the apple TV or if you were using the Apple TV native functions?

For example, if I select 'Watch Apple TV' on my remote itll pop up the Apple TV and control it either via IR or via the Apple TV IP driver. If I then navigate to XBMC and launch it how will Control4 know that I am no longer using the Apple TV but rather XBMC, and vice-versa when I exit XBMC?

Using IR control on the remote this isnt an issue since the IR commands will function one way in the Apple TV interface, and another way in the XBMC interface based on the XBMC software itself.

I am fairly certain if you want to run XBMC on the unit, you run it all the time.".

Correct, but I see what akg4y is saying. How does the C4 remote know when you're wanting to control XBMC & vice versa if you are already in XBMC. How does Alan's driver distinguish between Apple TV and XBMC? If I use my Apple TV IR commands to navigate to XBMC, how then do I use Alan's driver to then control XBMC?

Probably by changing the device on your remote:

Watch - XBMC

Watch - AppleTV

The input wont switch, but Control4 will know at that point what commands to send.

Yeah, that makes sense.

I also know what akg4y is saying, I just don't know how feasible it is.

Is there anyone here currently trying this, or using XBMC on an Apple TV? If so, let's do some testing. If you want to send me an Apple TV I'll test the crud out of it for you =)

I createdy own Apple TV driver. I can share it with anyone for free.

It's basic, it just passes IR commands to the Apple TV.

I don't know why you're making it difficult about how c4 needs to know if you're in native Apple TV or XBMC. I actually switch between ATV, Boxee and XbMC without problem.

Once you're in the Apple TV C4 doesn't need to know what's running. I control all media playback using the Apple TV, Boxee or XBMC interface because I don't like how C4 does it.

I guess I see what youre saying... since the remote is the same the commands for Apple TV should work, but you can also have additional remote commands programmed into XBMC using the keymap.xml file in XBMC. This way you can make single keypresses have functions in XBMC that would otherwise require navigating menus correct?

bog... did you just learn the IR commands from your Apple TV remote directly? Are you planning on installing the Broadcom CrystalHD card?

Yes, I just learned the IR commands from the Apple TV remote directly. I got one of the new Apple remote for christmas so I could modify my driver. Regardless, it still works fine.

Aside from up, down, left, right, menu, play/select what do you need? I also map the following:

play/select to the play, pause and select

menu to menu and cancel

What other mappings do you want and I'll create them.

No, I don't plan to use the broadcom card. I'm happy ripping my content from DVDs. No need for anything higher than 720p.

I'm still optimistic for some kind of hardware refresh from Apple. Otherwise, when I start working with HD I'm going to get something other than an Apple TV.

Thanks for the offer, Ill take a look at the remote and see what Id like mapped out, if there is anything different than what you have already.

Im hearing that it is possible the new Apple TV might not work with XBMC (speculation)... my main reason for getting the Apple TV is using XBMC. I wish I knew people that had the knowhow to develop media player hardware from scratch and bring it to market... so much potential if someone would just look to the userbase for what is lacking in current players.

akg4y... have you tried Boxee? I've tried XBMC, Plex and Boxee on my Mac mini... and I definitely prefer Boxee.

My system is setup virtually the same as bog's (my C4 remote reproduces the Apple remote), except it's a Mac mini instead of an Apple TV.

I'm not sure how switching apps works on an Apple TV, but for my Mac Mini I found this app Mira http://twistedmelon.com/ which generates a slick application switcher on the Mac mini using the remote. The user experience goes like this:

* Select Watch Mac mini from my C4 remote

* Press Menu on the C4 remote and up pops Mira on the Mac mini with a list of Apps to choose from (Boxee, Plex, iTunes, XBMC Front Row, iPhoto etc...)

* Use the C4 remote to scroll to the app I want

* Once the app is running, I use the C4 remote to navigate like an original Apple Remote

I like the set-up and using the Mac mini gives you all kinds of options/flexibility.

There is no "app switching" on the Apple TV. I launch Boxee or XBMC from Apple TV menu. I exit when I'm done and I'm back at the Apple TV menu. I only use native Apple TV functions if I'm renting a video.

urbanmark.. thanks for the info. I havent tried Boxee but I may install it this weekend. I like the skins & relatively rapid development of XBMC, plus the fact that it will soon support 1080p decoding on both the mac mini and apple TV with the CrystalHD card (although it cant yet *output* 1080p on the AppleTV because of some weird bug).

Are you running the new beta of Boxee? If so, what do you think?

I'm a moderator on the Boxee site and blog for AppleTVjunkie.com so I got early access to the Beta, check out a video preview I did

If you didn't know, Boxee is based on XBMC so I expect it will support the CrystalHD card very soon.

I've been using XBMC more lately because I don't care for Internet streaming. I stream all my content from my NAS.

Cant access the videos at work... Ill take a look tonight. Does Boxee have the same issue with 1080p on the AppleTV that XBMC does? Apparently although with the CrystalHD card the AppleTV can handle 1080p content there is some sort of bug in XBMC that still only allows 720p output on the mac mini and AppleTV.

Cant access the videos at work... Ill take a look tonight. Does Boxee have the same issue with 1080p on the AppleTV that XBMC does? Apparently although with the CrystalHD card the AppleTV can handle 1080p content there is some sort of bug in XBMC that still only allows 720p output on the mac mini and AppleTV.

I'm running the Boxee Beta... which I now think is available to everyone? And bog's right, Boxee is based on XBMC. But, from the Mac mini/Boxee combo, I'm pretty sure I'm getting 1080p... the Mac mini says its sending 1080p, Boxee says its outputting 1080p and my Sony TV says its receiving it 1080p. (Not sure what the XBMC/Apple TV 1080p issue is?)

I like Boxee for the user interface, the way it manages media, access to dozens of Apps (Pandora, YouTube, FailBlog, Facebook, Twitter etc... etc... etc...)

• 3 weeks later...

bog, basically what I would like to do is mimic how XBMC handles the Harmony remote when the Harmony remote is set to XBMC. It essentially allows for 100 unique remote IR codes to be sent to XBMC to allow for shortcuts such as loading the video folder, updating libraries, etc. I have a thread going on xbmc.org here if you have any insight:

http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66917

Archived