C4 Forums | Control4

Connecting araknis router to switches

rocco1901

Question

8 answers to this question

That depends a little bit on the situation. Or to be exact, best practise depends a bit on the situation.

Either would work regardless though best practises states modem to router to core switcch to edge switch(es), so unless you feel like explaining why you have two switches and what's connected to each etc, go by that.

Just a few quick examples:

one switch is full

one switch is a smaller poe and only for the following devices x,y,z

one switch is all my automation, the other is game consoles....

22 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

That depends a little bit on the situation. Or to be exact, best practise depends a bit on the situation.

Either would work regardless though best practises states modem to router to core switcch to edge switch(es), so unless you feel like explaining why you have two switches and what's connected to each etc, go by that.

Just a few quick examples:

one switch is full

one switch is a smaller poe and only for the following devices x,y,z

one switch is all my automation, the other is game consoles....

Thank you. First switch is a smaller poe switch used just for my access points. The second switch is for everything else (tv's/hardwired pc's/etc).  Right now the 310 router connects to each directly. Have been having issues with connectivity/dns resolution and am grasping at straws trying different things which is why this crossed my mind.

4 hours ago, rocco1901 said:

Thank you. First switch is a smaller poe switch used just for my access points. The second switch is for everything else (tv's/hardwired pc's/etc).  Right now the 310 router connects to each directly. Have been having issues with connectivity/dns resolution and am grasping at straws trying different things which is why this crossed my mind.

Putting AP switch to router shouldn't be a concern as such. Certainly wouldn't cause DNS resolution issues.

Make sure the Router is updated though, there was an issue with DNS in an earlier firmware: in addition if you are using starlink, a static route should be added to the router (192.168.0.100, 255.255.255.0, gateway 0.0.0.0 to WAN) to resolve certain dns issues there as well.

If none of the above apply, try setting BOTH the WAN and the LAN to use static DNS (I'd use 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1) vs using ISP provided DNS servers/using the router as a DNS server.

14 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Putting AP switch to router shouldn't be a concern as such. Certainly wouldn't cause DNS resolution issues.

Make sure the Router is updated though, there was an issue with DNS in an earlier firmware: in addition if you are using starlink, a static route should be added to the router (192.168.0.100, 255.255.255.0, gateway 0.0.0.0 to WAN) to resolve certain dns issues there as well.

If none of the above apply, try setting BOTH the WAN and the LAN to use static DNS (I'd use 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1) vs using ISP provided DNS servers/using the router as a DNS server.

I think I finally figured out the problem. Talked to two neighbors who have been experiencing the internet dropping when they are on zoom work calls. Brief interruptions of a few seconds to a minute. Their internet comes back online after that. For whatever reason the brief pause freezes the Araknis 310 router and requires a reboot. My neighbors routers don't seem to have the same issue. Not sure if there is anything I can try to fix that. Comcast is supposedly coming out to look at the issue but it's so hard to find anyone that knows what's going on to talk to in customer service.

I’m with you on the ISP fixing it. If only I could find someone at Comcast that could do anything about it. Technician is coming out to my house in a couple of days. I’m sure he’ll check the cables and say it’s fine and say he can’t do anything about upstream issues.  Really frustrating.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.