C4 Forums | Control4

Upgrade or Not?

Here is a question that has to do with dated tech but hopefully someone has a good answer for me. I currently have a C4-8ZVMS-B HDMI matrix. A friend has Control4 LU1082 with LU1E Receivers.

I don’t have any 4k tvs at the moment and already have inough inputs/outputs for video sources. If I could get this for free, is it worth the upgrade or is it not worth the hassle?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

I’ve had an LU862 for 6 years.  I like it, but to be honest, I don’t have much of a use case for a video matrix and I’m wondering if I’ll stay that path once I need to take out the LU.  The pro’s have been great for source syncing between multiple TV’s when you have everyone over for the big game, great to downmix to any speakers in the house or lanai, great to share single sources between seldom used rooms.  Especially good to downmix the TV to the pool-side speakers.  The downside has been at least one burned out port on the LU so it’s not fully capable any more, and I’ve gone through at least 4 LU1E’s - and they are no longer manufactured.  But there are 3rd party alternatives that work.  The good news is it’s been pretty plug-and-play other than the issues I noted above.

Free is good.  I guess the biggest question to answer is what do you hope to gain?  And is that worth the cost and effort to switch.  Unless you are a dealer, there will be some cost to add new driver(s) and reprogram.  I’d be asking:

1. Will I get a better picture?
  2. will I get/keep downmixing?  I don’t believe the first LU’s have downmixing
  3. How many years will this take me?  /  When do I want 4k?
  4. Will I get anything else?

Good luck!  At the end of the day, not sure you can go too wrong.

On 9/27/2023 at 4:01 PM, cdcllc said:

will I get/keep downmixing?  I don’t believe the first LU’s have downmixing

It's not about 'the first' it depends on the model: if the model ends with a "D" it has downmixing and can take atmos etc and feed it out over hdmi while outputting stereo on it's audio outs.

I still happily run my 1082D with zero issues, but the question is what will you gain in your setup.

My suggestion though is that even if you 'gain' nothing, you can get a free replacement unit for your HDMI switch, take it.....that's thousands of dollars of value right there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.